Generate Script

Hi,

When I generated the controller about and index, I am not seeing the generated views in my firefox browser (an error occured).

# script/generate contoller about index       exists app/controllers/       exists app/helpers/       exists app/views/about       exists test/functional/       exists test/unit/helpers/    identical app/controllers/about_controller.rb    identical test/functional/about_controller_test.rb    identical app/helpers/about_helper.rb    identical test/unit/helpers/about_helper_test.rb    identical app/views/about/index.html.erb

When I go to my browser:

http://localhost:3000/about

It should generate:

About#index

BUT I get an browser error,

Is there a way to see the error in the full trace? or is there an error in my commands?

Regards, D

No your script/generate is fine.

Forgive me if this is too obvious but possibly check to see if the method was added to the about_controller.

Sam

Hi,

When I generated the controller about and index, I am not seeing the generated views in my firefox browser (an error occured).

# script/generate contoller about index exists app/controllers/ exists app/helpers/ exists app/views/about exists test/functional/ exists test/unit/helpers/ identical app/controllers/about_controller.rb identical test/functional/about_controller_test.rb identical app/helpers/about_helper.rb identical test/unit/helpers/about_helper_test.rb identical app/views/about/index.html.erb

When I go to my browser:

It should generate:

About#index

What is the error?

Is there a way to see the error in the full trace? or is there an error in my commands?

Have a look in log/development.log, that often contains useful information.

Colin

Hi,

When I generated the controller about and index, I am not seeing the

generated views in my firefox browser (an error occured).

script/generate contoller about index

exists  app/controllers/
 exists  app/helpers/
 exists  app/views/about
 exists  test/functional/
 exists  test/unit/helpers/

identical app/controllers/about_controller.rb

identical test/functional/about_controller_test.rb

identical app/helpers/about_helper.rb

identical test/unit/helpers/about_helper_test.rb

identical app/views/about/index.html.erb

When I go to my browser:

It should generate:

About#index

What is the error?

This is what I get from the browser

We’re sorry, but something went wrong.

We’ve been notified about this issue and we’ll take a look at it shortly.

Is there a way to see the error in the full trace? or is there an

error in my commands?

Have a look in log/development.log, that often contains useful information.

See below,not sure how to deal with it:

tail -f development.log

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in `start'

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `each'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `start'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in `start'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in `start'

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/handler/webrick.rb:14:in `run'
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.4/lib/commands/server.rb:111
/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'

/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
script/server:3

Is this what you mean?

$ cat about_controller.rb class AboutController < ApplicationController def index end

end

Start by pasting the *entire* stack trace.

That is only the end of the error trace, find the beginning of the trace (not the whole log) and examine the trace carefully to see if you can make any sense of it. There will be a lot of it and it may look like nothing useful but read through and see if there is a reference to any of your code, or anything else that suggests what the problem might be. If you still cannot get any further then post the whole error trace here. You will see many of these if you stick with Rails so this is a good time to start trying to glean information from them. If there is an error message at the front that looks meaningful but you do not understand then google may help.

As an aside have you worked through the Getting Started guide in the ruby on rails guides? This may help to get you going.

Colin

/!\ FAILSAFE /!\ Fri Dec 11 03:00:22 +0800 2009

Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:585:in `real_connect’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:585:in `connect’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:199:in `initialize’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:71:in `new’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:71:in `mysql_connection’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:223:in `send’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:223:in `new_connection’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:245:in `checkout_new_connection’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:188:in `checkout’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:184:in `loop’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:184:in `checkout’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor.rb:242:in `synchronize’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:183:in `checkout’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:98:in `connection’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:326:in `retrieve_connection’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:123:in `retrieve_connection’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:115:in `connection’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:9:in `cache’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/query_cache.rb:28:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:361:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/head.rb:9:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/methodoverride.rb:24:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.4/lib/action_controller/params_parser.rb:15:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.4/lib/action_controller/session/cookie_store.rb:93:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.4/lib/action_controller/failsafe.rb:26:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/lock.rb:11:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/lock.rb:11:in `synchronize’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/lock.rb:11:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.4/lib/action_controller/dispatcher.rb:114:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.4/lib/action_controller/reloader.rb:34:in `run’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.3.4/lib/action_controller/dispatcher.rb:108:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.4/lib/rails/rack/static.rb:31:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:46:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:40:in `each’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/urlmap.rb:40:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.4/lib/rails/rack/log_tailer.rb:17:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/content_length.rb:13:in `call’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/handler/webrick.rb:50:in `service’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:104:in `service’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/httpserver.rb:65:in `run’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:173:in `start_thread’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:162:in `start_thread’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:95:in `start’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `each’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:92:in `start’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:23:in `start’

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/webrick/server.rb:82:in `start’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rack-1.0.1/lib/rack/handler/webrick.rb:14:in `run’

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.3.4/lib/commands/server.rb:111

/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require’

/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require’

script/server:3

You have to supply a correct username and password in your DB config file (config/database.yml)...

Thank you… It worked!