Problem with auto-generated controller and index

Good day, people, I installed a fully working Ruby on Rails on my Debian Squeeze system today and am studying a tutorial about Ruby on Rails right now. It says that in the main folder of my app, I should type

ruby script/generate controller Stories index

Good, but that seems to be for older ruby versions than mine. I get a 'file not found' error. So I took a little look around the directory and found that I may use:

ruby script/rails generate controller Stories index

Now I get the following:

create app/controllers/stories_controller.rb        route get "stories/index"       invoke erb       create app/views/stories       create app/views/stories/index.html.erb       invoke test_unit       create test/functional/stories_controller_test.rb       invoke helper       create app/helpers/stories_helper.rb       invoke test_unit       create test/unit/helpers/stories_helper_test.rb

Good! Then it's said that I should go to http://localhost:3000/stories where I would find a quite empty starting page. But the only thing I'll get is

Routing Error No route matches "/stories"

I thought for a second and typed in http://localhost:3000/stories/index , and I get

Stories#index Find me in app/views/stories/index.html.erb

Huh. That's good for the time being, because something happens in some kind and I got a functioning (at least halfway) controller. But why won't it use /stories/index just for the parent directory /stories -- and especially: Why doesn't it do that as _automatically by official Ruby on Rails tools generated_ code? Would look some kinda stupid when every url of my website will have /index at the end. >:s

Regards, Simon

You got exactly what you asked for - if you just ask for a controller with an action, there's no special casing of particular action names. You can of course add a route specifying what should be done with / stories. Typically you would be using resourceful routes, in which cases /stories would be mapped to StoriesController#index for you. (try rails generate scaffold stories name:string body:text)

Fred

Fred

Good day, people, I installed a fully working Ruby on Rails on my Debian Squeeze system today and am studying a tutorial about Ruby on Rails right now. It says that in the main folder of my app, I should type

ruby script/generate controller Stories index

Good, but that seems to be for older ruby versions than mine. I get a 'file not found' error. So I took a little look around the directory and found that I may use:

ruby script/rails generate controller Stories index

By the way, this implies that you're working with rails 3 but following a tutorial on rails 2.x (or earlier). Rails 3 is substantially different from rails 2 - you might want to hunt for an up to date tutorial. guides.rubyonrails.org is a good place to start

Fred

Thanks for your answer! I'm just a little bit disappointed now that I have to use a whole other tutorial now. scaffold will create all things for a basic database view and editing system, and it will create

resources :stories

in my routes.rb. Well, that's what I did manually now. I don't wanna have everything pre-done for me right now, although I think scaffold will get useful for me again.

Thank you! :slight_smile: