generating a view from a controller.

Hello everyone,

My name is Brandon. I have just finished setting up a ruby on Rails server with PostgreSQL. No i am on windows server 2003 R2 service pack 2.

I can create an app, and seems like create a controller....

ruby script/generate controller hello index

but when i type localhost:3000 all i get is the "welcome aboard, your riding Ruby on Rails."

home screen not my Hello#index page.

any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hello--

Hello everyone,

My name is Brandon. I have just finished setting up a ruby on Rails server with PostgreSQL. No i am on windows server 2003 R2 service pack 2.

I can create an app, and seems like create a controller....

ruby script/generate controller hello index

but when i type localhost:3000 all i get is the "welcome aboard, your riding Ruby on Rails."

home screen not my Hello#index page.

any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Good news! You have your server running. Now you need to delete public/index.html which is just a placeholder page and the one you are currently seeing. You also have to modify config/routes.rb to include something like:

map.root :controller => "hellos"

That tells the Rails routing system that the root of your application (where someone goes if they go to '/') should be to the default action in the HellosController. If your controller is really called HelloController, then:

map.root :controller => "hello"

Hope this helps.

It might well be worth while having a look at the Ruby on Rails guides at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/, particularly Getting Started with Rails.

Colin.