Documentation issues in Lighthouse

Hi there,

I'm wondering if a decision has been made as to whether it's desirable to have issues logged in lighthouse that are about documentation only?

Seems to me it would be good to allow people to log issues re documentation somewhere.. For those that find issues but don't have the resources to submit a patch at the time..

Cheers,

Tim.

I am very sure that the total time you spent in writing that ticket+this email, would have been sufficient to write the doc patch.

It's very unlikely that anyone else would spend time on an open doc ticket, related to some corner case.

If you really want to contribute actively to Rails' documentation, you should ask Pratik for commit rights to the docrails project. This way, it's just: - edit the source code - git commit -a -m 'Patched xyz' - git push

As Pratik says, writing a ticket would be more time consuming than actually writing the patch.

- Clemens

Hi Guys,

I understand that if I’m fully learned up on git, AND I know the solution to the issue found, it’s probably very simple to make a patch. The thing is, I’m not skilled in git yet, and yes, I know this is an opportunity to learn. Right now I don’t have time. By removing my issue you’re saying that if I’m unable to make the patch, you don’t want to hear about the issue.

I guess my point is that if you’re choosing not to accept issues where the documentation is inconsistent with how the framework works, and you’re not accepting issues where the documentation is wrong, then you’re losing an opportunity to improve the framework/docs when the people finding these issues aren’t in a position to make a patch. If someone finds an issues and logs it, then they my be back to fix it when they have time. But, I haven’t really followed Rails core, and maybe that just doesn’t happen here.

That’s about the extent of my caring for now. :slight_smile: It comes down to “IMO removing valid issues just because they involve docs is a bad idea”. Moving on…

Tim.

Hey Tim,

Hi Guys,

I understand that if I'm fully learned up on git, AND I know the solution to the issue found, it's probably very simple to make a patch. The thing is, I'm not skilled in git yet, and yes, I know this is an opportunity to learn. Right now I don't have time.

If you need any kind of help in making the patch, you can always hit me up in #rails-contrib. I'm usually always around.

By removing my issue you're saying that if I'm unable to make the patch, you don't want to hear about the issue.

Not really. If you're looking to have a disucssion when you're not 100% sure about something, or want your opinions to be heard by a much larger crowd, you should always try mailing list first.

I guess my point is that if you're choosing not to accept issues where the documentation is inconsistent with how the framework works, and you're not accepting issues where the documentation is wrong, then you're losing an opportunity to improve the framework/docs when the people finding these issues aren't in a position to make a patch.

I personally think ( from what I've seen so far ), no one will ever notice a ticket like that. And it'll go unnoticed for months hidden at the very bottom of the pile of open tickets.

If someone finds an issues and logs it, then they my be back to fix it when they have time. But, I haven't really followed Rails core, and maybe that just doesn't happen here.

It depends on the severity of the issue. For very corner cases, yeah, it rarely happens. No one usually comes back to fix them, till someone, who has time, cares enough to submit a patch.

It comes down to "IMO removing valid issues just because they involve docs is a bad idea". Moving on..

Closing the ticket doesn't remove them. They'll still show up in search results.

Pratik,

Thanks for the response. I’ll probably come find you in #rails-contrib in the future. Cheers for the heads up on the channel.

Tim.