dev tool

Can anyone suggest a development tool for RoR? How is the plugin for Eclipse?

I like RubyMine - it's not free, but worth it, IMO.

Larry

I'd suggest TextMate if you had a Mac, but then I guess you wouldn't be asking :slight_smile: So I suppose you are on Windows or Linux. In which case I recommend vim :).

This is what I'm using and I do have a Mac (actually 3 of them :slight_smile:

I used TextMate for a couple of years but eventually got drown back to vim. I just can't give up the power it has.

My .vimrc setup with a lot of rails related goodies can be found at http://github.com/astrails/dotvim

There is a README with most useful

Aptana RadRail,Netbeans i'm using these 2 for my dev. pretty cool for me try it.

+1 for Vim and rails.vim plugin.

Mlle wrote:

Can anyone suggest a development tool for RoR? How is the plugin for Eclipse?

Don't bother with Eclipse, or indeed with any big IDE -- Rails doesn't benefit from their use. Just use a good text editor (my preference is KomodoEdit).

Best,

I had used Eclipse + Aptana plugin, but I prefer NetBeans.

Regards,

Almir.

For java i like eclipse, but i don’t use an ide for rails. In mac i use textmate plus shell and in linux i use gedit plus shell.

And man, in my opinion these are very powerfull tools for development with ruby (and rails).

Ricardo Valeriano

I have used NetBeans for the last 1.5 years. It has nice support for Rails/Ruby. I would suggest looking at NetBeans if you want an IDE.

That being said, make sure you understand what the IDE is doing for you behind the scenes - I see too many developers who know how to invoke stuff via an IDE but don't really know what is actually being done in the application framework.