Commands of creating new app. are different.

I am following "Head First Rails" to learn Rails Web Application Development.

To create a new web application from command prompt, the books says:

rails <app_name>

When I try the above command, it doesn't work. After little tweaking I tried:

rails new <app_name>

This works but crashes the creation of directory structure in: vendors/plugins.

Later I tried running this command (as mentioned in the book): ruby script/server

This command doesn't works. I opened the Script folder and found that it has only one sub-folder with the name Rails.

Quoting Rubyist Rohit <lists@ruby-forum.com>:

[snipped]

You need to match major versions and preferably minor version of Rails. From the snipped part of your e-mail, it's clear that "Head First Rails" was written for Rails 2, which is no longer supported. My suggestion is find a tutorial written for Rails 3, preferably Rails 3.2 (the current version).

HTH, Jeffrey

To create a new web application from command prompt, the books says:

rails <app_name>

When I try the above command, it doesn't work. After little tweaking I tried:

rails new <app_name>

This works but crashes the creation of directory structure in: vendors/plugins.

vendor/plugins is dead and if I remember right won't even be supported in Rails 4, so it's better to rid of using it now. Any tutorial that recommends using it, under any circumstance is outdated and should not be used.

Later I tried running this command (as mentioned in the book): ruby script/server

This command doesn't works. I opened the Script folder and found that it has only one sub-folder with the name Rails.

rails n dir -- create a new rails app rails s -- start rails server rails g -- generate commands rake -T -- list of rake commands

rails has --help which will list base, and you can also do something like rails n --help and list help docs specific to rails new.

Please suggest an alternative to Head First Rails.

Any no boring stuff with sample application lessons?

Check this page

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106410840031564395996/posts

Cheers,

Sai