Rails and the Ubuntu command line

I am new to rails

The rails command to create new application: rails new depot is not working. It creates a folder named new inside the current directory when was expecting depot

Even the command that generate scaffolds ( rails generate scaffold …) create a folder named generate as if I am trying to create a new rails project named generate.

what is the problem. I am using rails version ‘Rails 2.3.14’

I am new to rails The rails command to create new application: rails new depot is not working. It creates a folder named new inside the current directory when was expecting depot

Even the command that generate scaffolds ( rails generate scaffold …) create a folder named generate as if I am trying to create a new rails project named generate.

what is the problem. I am using rails version ‘Rails 2.3.14’

The functionality of the rails command changed since that version. Either use rails 3, in which case the command will work as expected, or use “rails depot” to create your app. You can then cd into the directory and run generate commands.

Jeremy Walker

The rails command changed substantially between rails 2.x and rails 3, it looks like you're following instructions for rails 3.

in rails 2 you create a new app with

rails foo

and you invoke generators with

ruby ./script/generate ...

instead of rails generate ...

Fred

May I politely ask why you are trying to use such and verion of Rails?

Since you are new, why not hop on the latest version? Are you trying to follow an old book, or other older online tutorials?

See this post to get started: Installing Rails with RVM support on Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 or Linux Mint 14 | Matt Slay, PhC