Cant create project from cmd

I'm following instructions in a book and it says to enter the following: rails -d mysql chapter3

This is supposed to create the skeleton of a new rails app with correct rails app directory structure but it doesn't create the directory like it's supposed to. In cmd I get a whole list of information but nothing is created.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

Tara Keane wrote in post #967509:

I'm following instructions in a book and it says to enter the following: rails -d mysql chapter3

This is supposed to create the skeleton of a new rails app with correct rails app directory structure but it doesn't create the directory like it's supposed to. In cmd I get a whole list of information but nothing is created.

And the list of information says...?

Any suggestions? Thanks...

Best,

I’m following instructions in a book and it says to enter the following:

rails -d mysql chapter3

Try rails new -d mysql chapter3

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #967510:

Tara Keane wrote in post #967509:

Are you using Rails 3 with a book aimed at Rails 2, by any chance?

If so, don't. Find a Rails 3 tutorial.

If you are using rails 2.x version then your command should be: rails new Project_Name -d mysql

and if it’s rails 3 then type rails Project_Name -d mysql

I’m following instructions in a book and it says to enter the following:

rails -d mysql chapter3 here chapter3 should come before -d mysql. otherwise you will get this error : “Options should be given after the application name. For details run: rails --help”

Another thing is that I think you are trying to learn Rails 3 from a Rails 2 version book. If so please do not follow that book and get a Rails 3 tutorial or install Rails version mentioned in that book. So, further you wouldn’t get trapped in such situations. Cause there are many commands deprecated in Rails 3.