Can't get WEBrick to work

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting my server to work.

I type

rails server

at the command line and get a whole lot of gobble-dee-gook. I do NOT get the results my instructor on the web video gets. I do not get any result when I look for localhost:3000 on my web browser. I'm using a Mac OS 10.5.8, and I downloaded the latest version of Rails, which seemed to go smoothly.

Please don't overwhelm me with technical speak. I'm brand new to rails, brand new to command line coding, brand new to web development.

Thanks! Joel

In return, please overwhelm us with the exact error messages you get, preferably the top-half (at least) so we can advise you :slight_smile:

Peter

Hi,

can you send the exact output which you are getting after running this command.

Mitesh Jain

Hi,

can you send the exact output which you are getting after running this command.

Mitesh Jain

> Hello,

Also, you need to be in a directory containing a Rails application when you submit the 'rails server' command.

Also, what were exact steps you took to download and install latest version of rails?

As someone mentioned above, you need to be in the root directory of your app. What does that mean? When you first started developing your app, you probably did a command like: rails new my_app_name, where "my_app_name" is whatever you want your new app to be called. That created a new directory or folder, using that same name. You need to get inside that directory before typing

rails sever.

Here's a basic rundown.

1. "rails new my_new_app" This generates your brand new rails application, and puts it all in a new folder called "my_new_app".

2. "cd my_new_app" Go into your "my_new_app" folder.

3. "rails server" Launch the rails server - notice you are running this command while INSIDE the rails project folder.

Test this out and see if it works for you. We also need to see the actual error messages you are getting in the terminal. From now on, make it a habit to post any and all console ouput for us to see, it'll let us help you out much more easily. :slight_smile:

I did try rails server from the root directory of my app, entitled "simple_cms." Here's my command and the results.

Macintosh-198:simple_cms joelrw$ rails server NOTE: Gem.source_index is deprecated, use Specification. It will be removed on or after 2011-11-01. Gem.source_index called from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler/shared_helpers.rb:3. NOTE: Gem.source_index is deprecated, use Specification. It will be removed on or after 2011-11-01. Gem.source_index called from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler/source.rb:162. NOTE: Gem::SourceIndex#each is deprecated with no replacement. It will be removed on or after 2011-11-01. Gem::SourceIndex#each called from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler/source.rb:162. NOTE: Gem.source_index is deprecated, use Specification. It will be removed on or after 2011-11-01. Gem.source_index called from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler/shared_helpers.rb:84. /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql2-0.3.11/lib/mysql2/ mysql2.bundle: dlsym(0x1456f90, Init_mysql2): symbol not found - /usr/ local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql2-0.3.11/lib/mysql2/mysql2.bundle (LoadError)   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql2-0.3.11/lib/mysql2.rb:9   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler/ runtime.rb:68:in `require'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler/ runtime.rb:68:in `require'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler/ runtime.rb:66:in `each'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler/ runtime.rb:66:in `require'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler/ runtime.rb:55:in `each'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler/ runtime.rb:55:in `require'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/bundler-1.0.11/lib/bundler.rb: 120:in `require'   from /Users/joelrw/Sites/simple_cms/config/application.rb:7   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/railties-3.2.1/lib/rails/ commands.rb:53:in `require'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/railties-3.2.1/lib/rails/ commands.rb:53   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/railties-3.2.1/lib/rails/ commands.rb:50:in `tap'   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/railties-3.2.1/lib/rails/ commands.rb:50   from script/rails:6:in `require'   from script/rails:6