Can't get postgresql working

In the past, I've used mysql with rails without problem. I need to work with postgresql, but I'm having trouble getting it working. I've seen conflicting reports on what gems are needed. My latest install was

sudo gem install postgres -- --with-pgsql-include-dir=/Library/PostgreSQL8/include --with-pgsql-lib-dir=/Library/PostgreSQL8/lib

(note: I did this blindly. It's about my 6th try to get proper gems in place)

I'm running Rails 2.3.8 and PostgreSQL 8.4.2

My .yml configuration is development:   adapter: postgresql   database: movies   username: michael2   port: 5432   allow_concurrency: true   encoding: SQL_ASCII

When I try to do a test connect with rake db:migrate, I get the following:

rake db:migrate --trace (in /oldhome/michael/projects/movies) ** Invoke db:migrate (first_time) ** Invoke environment (first_time) ** Execute environment rake aborted! syntax error on line 3, col 9: ` adapter: postgresql' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load'

In the past, I've used mysql with rails without problem. I need to work with postgresql, but I'm having trouble getting it working. I've seen conflicting reports on what gems are needed. My latest install was

sudo gem install postgres -- --with-pgsql-include-dir=/Library/PostgreSQL8/include --with-pgsql-lib-dir=/Library/PostgreSQL8/lib

(note: I did this blindly. It's about my 6th try to get proper gems in place)

Not your error, but for what it's worth, I'm using the 'pg' gem without any issues.

I'm running Rails 2.3.8 and PostgreSQL 8.4.2

My .yml configuration is development: adapter: postgresql database: movies username: michael2 port: 5432 allow_concurrency: true encoding: SQL_ASCII

When I try to do a test connect with rake db:migrate, I get the following:

rake db:migrate --trace (in /oldhome/michael/projects/movies) ** Invoke db:migrate (first_time) ** Invoke environment (first_time) ** Execute environment rake aborted! syntax error on line 3, col 9: ` adapter: postgresql' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load' /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load'         ---------

Can anyone offer some help? Thanks much

Rails is failing on a syntax error in your database.yml file. It has nothing to do with PostgreSQL at this point.

My guess is that instead of two leading spaces on that line you've got a tab. Or some other unicode character pretending to be a space...

Fix that and see what happens...

-philp

Philip Hallstrom wrote in post #969102:

Rails is failing on a syntax error in your database.yml file. It has nothing to do with PostgreSQL at this point.

My guess is that instead of two leading spaces on that line you've got a tab. Or some other unicode character pretending to be a space...

-philp

That certainly changed the result. Now it's

rake db:migrate --trace (in /oldhome/michael/projects/movies) ** Invoke db:migrate (first_time) ** Invoke environment (first_time) ** Execute environment ** Execute db:migrate rake aborted! uninitialized constant ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::PostgreSQLAdapter::PGconn

-philp

That certainly changed the result. Now it's

rake db:migrate --trace (in /oldhome/michael/projects/movies) ** Invoke db:migrate (first_time) ** Invoke environment (first_time) ** Execute environment ** Execute db:migrate rake aborted! uninitialized constant ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::PostgreSQLAdapter::PGconn

Try the 'pg' gem.

Philip Hallstrom wrote in post #969122:

ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::PostgreSQLAdapter::PGconn

Try the 'pg' gem.

I just installed it. Same result.

I'm not sure my gem is installing correctly, though - or if there is something else needed. Note the following:

irb(main):001:0> require 'pg'    => true    irb(main):002:0> cn = PGconn.open(:dbname => 'movies')    NameError: uninitialized constant PGconn      from (irb):2

I really do appreciate this help.

Michael Satterwhite wrote in post #969123:

Try the 'pg' gem.

I'm not sure my gem is installing correctly, though - or if there is something else needed. Note the following:

irb(main):001:0> require 'pg'    => true    irb(main):002:0> cn = PGconn.open(:dbname => 'movies')    NameError: uninitialized constant PGconn      from (irb):2

That is strange. Maybe try to check which constants where added when you execute the "require 'pg'" command ?

$ irb ruby-1.9.2-p0 > c = Object.constants ; nil #=> nil (remember constants) ruby-1.9.2-p0 > require 'pg' #=> true ruby-1.9.2-p0 > Object.constants - c # which constants where added? => [:ConditionVariable, :Queue, :SizedQueue, :Etc, :RbConfig, :Config, :CROSS_COMPILING, :Date, :Pathname, :PGError, :PGconn, :PGresult] ruby-1.9.2-p0 > PGconn #=> PGconn (constant is defined ) ruby-1.9.2-p0 > cn = PGconn.open(:dbname => 'movies') PGError: could not connect to server: No such file or directory ...

HTH,

Peter

Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #969157:

That is strange. Maybe try to check which constants where added when you execute the "require 'pg'" command ?

$ irb ruby-1.9.2-p0 > c = Object.constants ; nil #=> nil (remember constants) ruby-1.9.2-p0 > require 'pg' #=> true ruby-1.9.2-p0 > Object.constants - c # which constants where added? => [:ConditionVariable, :Queue, :SizedQueue, :Etc, :RbConfig, :Config, :CROSS_COMPILING, :Date, :Pathname, :PGError, :PGconn, :PGresult] ruby-1.9.2-p0 > PGconn #=> PGconn (constant is defined ) ruby-1.9.2-p0 > cn = PGconn.open(:dbname => 'movies') PGError: could not connect to server: No such file or directory ...

HTH,

Peter

First, I like your way of checking the constants. Being dense, I did that manually when I had to - thanks much!

Now, something is DEFINITELY wrong. Here is the result of my run:

irb(main):001:0>c = Object.constants    ---whole bunch of constants displayed --- irb(main):002:0> require 'pg' => true irb(main):003:0> Object.constants - c =>

What in heaven's name could cause this?

---Michael

Michael Satterwhite wrote in post #969166:

irb(main):001:0>c = Object.constants    ---whole bunch of constants displayed --- irb(main):002:0> require 'pg' => true irb(main):003:0> Object.constants - c =>

What in heaven's name could cause this?

---Michael

More information:

I just uninstalled gem 'pg'. I then executed the following:

irb irb(main):001:0> require 'pg' => true

In other words, it is still finding 'pg' after uninstalling the gem. That's likely the problem. How can I find out where this is coming from so I can get rid of it and reinstall pg?

As always, thanks to you experts.

Try the 'pg' gem.

Actually ... are you using ruby 1.8.x ?

Is that line

irb(main):001> require 'pg'

really your first line in the irb session ?

Should you not do

require 'rubygems'

first ? (IIRC, required in 1.8.x but no longer in 1.9.x)

My previous test was on ruby 1.9.2 and may have confused both of us (sorry for that ...).

In ruby 1.8.7 (system ruby), I see this:

peterv@ASUS:~$ rvm use Now using system ruby. # which 1.8.7.249-2 on Ubuntu 10.04 peterv@ASUS:~$ gem list | grep pg pg (0.10.0) peterv@ASUS:~$ irb irb(main):001:0> require 'pg' # should NOT work yet LoadError: no such file to load -- pg   from (irb):1:in `require'   from (irb):1 irb(main):002:0> require 'rubygems' => true irb(main):003:0> require 'pg' => true irb(main):004:0> Object.constants.grep(/PG/) => ["PGconn", "PGresult", "PGError"]

HTH,

Peter

Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #969175:

Try the 'pg' gem.

Is that line

Should you not do

require 'rubygems'

I have the environment variable

RUBYOPT=rubygems

set. This causes 1.8.x to automatically set rubygems as in 1.9.x.

Michael Satterwhite wrote in post #969181:

Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #969175:

Is that line

Should you not do

require 'rubygems'

I have the environment variable

RUBYOPT=rubygems

set. This causes 1.8.x to automatically set rubygems as in 1.9.x.

Ah, thanks for that info. It works that way here too.

peterv@ASUS:~$ export RUBYOPT=rubygems peterv@ASUS:~$ echo $RUBYOPT rubygems peterv@ASUS:~$ irb irb(main):001:0> require 'pg' => true irb(main):002:0> Object.constants.grep(/PG/) => ["PGconn", "PGresult", "PGError"]

Peter

Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #969183:

peterv@ASUS:~$ export RUBYOPT=rubygems peterv@ASUS:~$ echo $RUBYOPT rubygems peterv@ASUS:~$ irb irb(main):001:0> require 'pg' => true irb(main):002:0> Object.constants.grep(/PG/) => ["PGconn", "PGresult", "PGError"]

Actually, yours works much better ... mine isn't working, remember. <g>

Any idea of how I can find where that bogus 'pg' is coming from? The gem isn't installed anymore, but "require 'pg'" still returns true - loading no constants.

Michael Satterwhite wrote in post #969184:

Any idea of how I can find where that bogus 'pg' is coming from? The gem isn't installed anymore, but "require 'pg'" still returns true - loading no constants.

Aha, this might hint where your seemingly succeeded require is getting its input ? After the require, the $LOAD_PATH has grown !

irb(main):004:0> puts $LOAD_PATH /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8 /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i486-linux /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_ruby /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8 /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/i486-linux /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby /usr/lib/ruby/1.8 /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux . => nil irb(main):005:0> require 'pg' => true irb(main):006:0> puts $LOAD_PATH /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.10.0/bin /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.10.0/lib /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.10.0/ext /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8 /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i486-linux /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_ruby /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8 /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/i486-linux /usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby /usr/lib/ruby/1.8 /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux . => nil

Also, I had ran those 2 on my machine here (from the root directory):

peterv@ASUS:/$ find . -name 'pg.rb' 2>/dev/null ./home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0/gems/pg-0.10.0/lib/pg.rb ./usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/pg-0.10.0/lib/pg.rb

peterv@ASUS:/$ find . -name 'pg.so' 2>/dev/null

and that seems correct: * 1 time pg.rb in .rvm/gems for 1.9.2 (from the first example I showed) * 1 time pg.rb in /user/lib/gems/1.8 ... (system ruby)

no files pg.so found.

A long shot, but you could try that too and compare ...

HTH,

Peter

Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #969187:

Michael Satterwhite wrote in post #969184:

Aha, this might hint where your seemingly succeeded require is getting its input ? After the require, the $LOAD_PATH has grown !

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

This piece led me to a rogue gem that I'd installed when I was trying to get started. The require 'pg' is now giving the proper results and the test

rake db:migrate

connects to the database.

I *REALLY* appreciate this!

---Michael