Any thoughts on building a project using an old version of rails?

I am trying to build some sample projects from the book "Ajax on Rails." These projects are built against Rails 1.1.5, I am using Rails 2.0.2.

The directions are to copy the sample code to your code folder, add all the default rails files, and then edit config/database.yml.

So I installed the rails 1.1.5 gem, and then added the default files with

# rails _1.1.5_ -s photo_gallery

But then script/server won't work. It ran into two occurrences of "require_gem" that seem to now need to be "require" in boot.rb. I changed those lines, and now I get

# script/server /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ 1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- rails (LoadError)         from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/ usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'         from ./script/../config/boot.rb:38         from script/server:2:in `require'         from script/server:2

And, for what it is worth, I can't seem to freeze rails into this project or even into a new project. When I try

# rails _1.1.5_ -f test_frozen

it generates all the rails files, but then when it tries to freeze the code I get the error message

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.5/bin/rails:19:in `chdir': No such file or directory - -f (Errno::ENOENT)         from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.1.5/bin/rails:19         from /usr/bin/rails:19:in `load'         from /usr/bin/rails:19

Is it just impossible to run an old version of rails?

If the answer is yes--then perhaps there is more modern example code that will allow me to experiment with script.aculo.us and JavaScript? Pointers?

Thanks

I am trying to build some sample projects from the book "Ajax on Rails." These projects are built against Rails 1.1.5, I am using Rails 2.0.2.

The directions are to copy the sample code to your code folder, add all the default rails files, and then edit config/database.yml.

So I installed the rails 1.1.5 gem, and then added the default files with

# rails _1.1.5_ -s photo_gallery

But then script/server won't work. It ran into two occurrences of "require_gem" that seem to now need to be "require" in boot.rb. I changed those lines, and now I get

The replacement for require_gem is gem

Fred

Thanks Frederick, that was the help I needed.

For anyone who stumbles across this post, a recipe for building "Example B: Photo Gallery" from "Ajax on Rails" by Scott Raymond is

download and unzip the archives from the book copy the code from "Photo Archive" to a folder named "photo_archive" (for convenience) install rails 1.2.5 you don't have it (gem install rails -v=1.2.5) install the standard rails files in photo_archive (rails _1.2.5_ photo_archive -s) change "require_gem" to "gem" in two places in config/boot.rb change RAILS_GEM_VERSION to '1.2.5' in config/environment.rb configure the database and make an sql database if you need to run two rake tasks: rake rails:update; rake db:schema:load

For whatever reason, it wouldn't build against rails 1.1.5 which it says it wants

Again, thanks

A