Freeze gems

Hello everyone. Anyone run into this problem?

I have an rails app which is running rails 2.2.2 with rubygems 1.2.0 on a dev box. Rails is frozen and in SVN. The hosting server is running gems 0.9 which appears to be incompatible with rails 2.x. Is there a way to freeze rubygems (aka, gem) into a rails project so I do not impact other's applications?

What I have done (using 1.3.1 as a test case):

wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/45905/rubygems-1.3.1.tgz tar zxvf rubygems-1.3.1.tgz mv rubygems-1.3.1/lib <project>lib/rubygems cd <project> svn add lib/rubygems svn ci -m 'added libraries' rake deploy (to push app into production)

The idea was I would place the lib/rubygems directory ahead of everything in the load path...

edit config/environment.rb # Add additional load paths for your own custom dirs config.load_paths.insert(0, %W( #{RAILS_ROOT}/lib/rubygems/lib ).to_s)

on the dev box this looks correct (./script/about):

About your application's environment Ruby version 1.8.7 (i486-linux) RubyGems version 1.3.1 Rails version 2.2.2 Active Record version 2.2.2 Action Pack version 2.2.2 Active Resource version 2.2.2 Action Mailer version 2.2.2 Active Support version 2.2.2

On production it still is using the older version.: ./script/about ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb:214:in `install_gem_spec_stubs': undefined method `loaded_specs' for Gem:Module (NoMethodError)

It appears to still load 0.9.6 on the way.

Regards,

Josh Richard

Hello everyone. Anyone run into this problem?

I have an rails app which is running rails 2.2.2 with rubygems 1.2.0 on a dev box. Rails is frozen and in SVN. The hosting server is running gems 0.9 which appears to be incompatible with rails 2.x. Is there a way to freeze rubygems (aka, gem) into a rails project so I do not impact other's applications?

You probably want to fiddle with $: right at the top of environment.rb

Fred

You probably want to fiddle with $: right at the top of environment.rb

Fred

Thanks Fred,

This did not work.

Josh

Fred,

I followed this link since it was close to what was needed. I added the ENV variables to the rails project with no success.

http://www.rubygems.org/read/chapter/15#page101

There are may examples on the net about how to freeze gems, but I am not finding any documentation about how to freeze rubygems itself.

This seems like a problem which should be common to site host ISPs.

thanks, all.

Josh