Yahoo or Google SMTP servers to send email from RoR?

Hi,

has anyone succeeded to test sending emails from RoR app using Yahoo or Google SMTP server? I have accounts with those.

I am currently adding email support but I can't get mails sent. Well I can send them if I use my work's SMPT but I don't want to use that.

This I use:

# Email settings ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {   :address => "smtp.yahoo.com",   :port => 25,   :authentication => :login,   :user_name => "my username",   :password => "my password"   }

In config file I have:

config.action_mailer.raise_delivery_errors = true config.active_record.observers = :user_observer (for some automatic features)

Good Luck Reinhart

Why not? Spooling to a local MTA is generally more reliable than using straight SMTP because if the SMTP server is unreachable and/or down, your MTA will just re-queue and try again later (in most cases, retrying for up to 5 days).

Thanks!

Eno wrote:

Why not? Spooling to a local MTA is generally more reliable than using straight SMTP because if the SMTP server is unreachable and/or down, your MTA will just re-queue and try again later (in most cases, retrying for up to 5 days).

Hi, I guess Yahoo and Google use HELO, tls, etc as Reinhart's suggestion indicates (I didn't have time to try it yet).

I'm currently developing on XP and later on that goes to a shared server, maybe I can't use MTA there but I think SMTP should be ok there.

Cheers