How do I get Action Mailer to use Hotmail

Hi,

How do I get Action Mailer to use my Hotmail, or my GMail account. I will only be using these while testing my app, because when my app is ready I will get a server to host it. I will then be using that server for sending emails.

I just want to get Action Mailer working, I don't mind creating an account on Yahoo, etc.. So if any one can tell me about an email account that just works with Action Mailer, that would be great.

Kind regards, Dave.

I really don't think you can do that, because you'd need SMTP. Now if there was a pop or imap plugin, maybe that would work for GMail.

I have successfully setup actionmailer with GMail, which gives full pop3/smtp/imap access. Please note that GMail uses TLS for smtp access, though. The Net::SMTP class for ruby 1.8.x doesn't support tls, however the same class does in ruby 1.9. I'd download smtp.rb from ruby 1.9 and put it in your /lib directory:

http://svn.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/lib/net/smtp.rb?view=co

You also need a Net::POP3 which supports SSL:

http://svn.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/lib/net/pop.rb?view=co

Enter gmail's POP3/SMTP configuration (available from google) into your actionmailer config, and everything should work.

Jim Cropcho

Hi Jim, Im trying to use smtp.gmail.com for sending mail using rails application. Currently Im using ruby 1.8 and so according to your suggestion I copied the smtp.rb file in /net directory. But now Im getting a new type of error when I try to send the mail. The error is

NoMethodError in EmailerController#sendmail

undefined method `lines' for #<String:0x343530c> RAILS_ROOT: C:/Alterum/email

Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace C:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:988:in `capabilities' C:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:596:in `do_helo' C:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:555:in `do_start' C:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:525:in `start' C:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:463:in `start' C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionmailer-2.0.2/lib/action_mailer/base.rb:586:in `perform_delivery_smtp' C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionmailer-2.0.2/lib/action_mailer/base.rb:469:in `__send__' C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionmailer-2.0.2/lib/action_mailer/base.rb:469:in `deliver!' C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionmailer-2.0.2/lib/action_mailer/base.rb:352:in `method_missing' app/controllers/emailer_controller.rb:6:in `sendmail' Request

Parameters:

{"commit"=>"Send", "authenticity_token"=>"c7142102735203a9c277df1876f46862bd914641", "email"=>{"message"=>"Hi \r\nsAurav", "recipient"=>"saurav@alterum.in", "subject"=>"Hi"}}

my environment.rb file is

ActionMailer::Base.raise_delivery_errors = true; ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp;

ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = { :address => "smtp.gmail.com", :port => 587, :domain => "localhost.localdomain", :authentication => :plain, :user_name => "username_of_gmail", :password => "password", }

Can you please tell me whats goin on ??

-Thanks Saurav Jim Cropcho wrote:

Saurav Chakraborty wrote:

Hi Jim, Im trying to use smtp.gmail.com for sending mail using rails application. Currently Im using ruby 1.8 and so according to your suggestion I copied the smtp.rb file in /net directory. But now Im getting a new type of error when I try to send the mail. The error is

NoMethodError in EmailerController#sendmail

undefined method `lines' for #<String:0x343530c> RAILS_ROOT: C:/Alterum/email

I get the same problem. I also need a solution - you might try the tlsmail gem. I can't use that, because its cram_md5 is broken. Does anyone have a fix, or have another solution?

Try this way :

I dont try yet for hotmail, but the way in link above is working well with me 100%.

Cheer, Reinhart

You need to patch Net::SMTP to use Gmail.

Do a Google search for smtp_tls, download it to your app's lib directory and setup action mailer to use smtp. The Rails Wiki has a great example of how to setup ActionMailer for SMTP.

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/howtos/mailers