Would Ruby on Rails consider including the following Ruby project: Debugger for Ruby 1.9?

Hi -

I notice in the list of mentoring organizations for Google Summer of Code 2009 there is no organization representing Ruby.

Last year, I had a student who was interested in debugging support in Ruby 1.9 but due to a snafu on the part of the Ruby Central administrator, Ruby lost the student altogether.

Earlier this year in the ruby-core mailing list, I mentioned the possibility getting another student to work on some core changes into YARV (the 1.9 VM), Kochi indicated he'd be interested in mentoring. Given this ideal situation, would it be possible to list such a project as part of Ruby Rails?

Thanks.

P.S. The "core" email address listed on http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/rails bounced email back to me saying there is no such account.

Hi Rocky,

I notice in the list of mentoring organizations for Google Summer of Code 2009 there is no organization representing Ruby.

Yes, unfortunately.

Last year, I had a student who was interested in debugging support in Ruby 1.9 but due to a snafu on the part of the Ruby Central administrator, Ruby lost the student altogether.

Earlier this year in the ruby-core mailing list, I mentioned the possibility getting another student to work on some core changes into YARV (the 1.9 VM), Kochi indicated he'd be interested in mentoring. Given this ideal situation, would it be possible to list such a project as part of Ruby Rails?

Please do! We're primary interested in Rails 3 development efforts, but any coding projects relevant to the Rails ecosystem are welcome. This one sounds particularly interesting and important to the whole Ruby community.

P.S. The "core" email address listed on http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/rails bounced email back to me saying there is no such account.

Oops! Thanks.

jeremy

Many many thanks!

I've applied as a rails mentor. My handle is rocky. Again, in the event we can find someone I do intent to pull in Koichi if possible.

I'll be updating the rails wiki ideas soon. Other comments in line.

Hi Rocky,

Yes, unfortunately.

I have my own theory based my experiences last year as a Ruby Central mentor. But this kind of stuff is probably best kept private. So should this be of interest and I'm not sure why it would be, contact me off list.

Please do! We're primary interested in Rails 3 development efforts, but any coding projects relevant to the Rails ecosystem are welcome. This one sounds particularly interesting

The actual technique for debugging which is basically to overwrite a YARV instruction word with a one-byte "trap" instruction and replace or simulate the overwritten instruction on return from the trap. I think the whole concept is a bit interesting. From the Ruby/Rails side it will mean no more slow downs between breakpoints like one sees in ruby-debug (or many other debuggers which include virtually all of the Python debuggers :wink:

It is also a little bit involved so I think I'll have to at least start soon on it. (Previously I was waiting on Ruby 1.9.1 to get released since this was given the green light for post 1.9.1.)

and important to the whole Ruby community.

If it is of any consolation, I suspect a case could be made during project allocation time to allot an additional slot for this project since there is nothing representing Ruby in of itself.

In the past, Google has been reasonable about such things.

Oops! Thanks.

I see that this has been corrected. Thanks again!