Which linux distro for rails using ruby 1.9.1

Intro: I'm currently using Fedora 13 (with ruby 1.9.1 compiled from source) and wanted to learn rails, fedora 13 has openssl 1.0.0 that has issues when trying script/server and I didn't manage to fix it so I'm thinking on switching of distro for a while.

Question: If you currently have rails installed from gems and working with ruby 1.9.1 , which distro are you using?

Thanks in advance.

Japmsn,

Question: If you currently have rails installed from gems and working with ruby 1.9.1 , which distro are you using?

I hadn't tried that particular version yet. But, it gave me an excuse to experiment more with rvm, which I'm quickly becoming addicted to. I installed ruby 1.9.1 via rvm, then performed a gem install rails. I took a couple of test projects for a spin and all appears well. Well, with one of the projects which had paperclip installed I had to change the case statement syntax in vendor/plugins/paperclip/lib/paperclip/storage.rb to use the 1.9.x syntax. But, other than that all appears well. I'm running OpenSuSE this week.

@Kevin Monceaux Thanks a lot, I've never tried openSuse nor rvm, after your reply I got interested on rvm and I'm reading on it right now.

Thanks again, I hope to get another response.

Japmsn, I 've been using rails over ruby 1.9.1 in ArchLinux for a while and it works exelent. See the arch wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RubyOnRails. I hope this serves you.

Juan Andres Knebel wrote:

Japmsn, I 've been using rails over ruby 1.9.1 in ArchLinux for a while and it works exelent. See the arch wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RubyOnRails. I hope this serves you. -- Juan Andres Knebel

tocayo! xD thanks a lot, I've been meaning to try arch so I'm glad to hear it works so good :slight_smile:

and thanks for the link too, imma read it now.

Japmsn Japms wrote:

Intro: I'm currently using Fedora 13 (with ruby 1.9.1 compiled from source) and wanted to learn rails, fedora 13 has openssl 1.0.0 that has issues when trying script/server and I didn't manage to fix it so I'm thinking on switching of distro for a while.

I've never used Ruby 1.9, but with 1.8, I've been very happy with Ubuntu, both with MRI and Ruby EE.

Thanks in advance.

Best,