which database servers are used for ruby on rails applications

Hi friends,

I am new to ruby on rails technology, i started with some pdf's, i am not getting idea which db is used for ruby on rails applications, basically i am .net developer, some of them suggested Sqllite3, if i use SqlLite3, sqlLiteManagementstudio Ide is usefuly, if it is use fully how i use for my application, where i have to create tables and where i have to write stored procs and queries, and how i acces in my application. any one have idea please help me .

Thanks In Advance V.Venkat

You asked about getting started four days ago and I answered though you did not thank me for my suggestions. The answer is still the same: First use Linux (Ubuntu for example) or Mac. Second follow a tutorial such as railstutorial.org which is free to use online. I recommend using rvm to install ruby and rails.

Have you completed the tutorial already?

Sqlite is good for development as it is very easy to setup and use, but it is not suitable for production. Most rails apps do not use stored procs and queries.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1094734:

Hi friends,

I am new to ruby on rails technology, i started with some pdf's, i am not getting idea which db is used for ruby on rails applications, basically i am .net developer, some of them suggested Sqllite3, if i use SqlLite3, sqlLiteManagementstudio Ide is usefuly, if it is use fully how i use for my application, where i have to create tables and where i have to write stored procs and queries, and how i acces in my application. any one have idea please help me .

You asked about getting started four days ago and I answered though you did not thank me for my suggestions. The answer is still the same: First use Linux (Ubuntu for example) or Mac. Second follow a tutorial such as railstutorial.org which is free to use online. I recommend using rvm to install ruby and rails.

Sqlite is good for development as it is very easy to setup and use, but it is not suitable for production. Most rails apps do not use stored procs and queries.

Colin

Hey Colin Law,

Thank you a lot for your help, here our managers recommended work on windows 7 , i installed ruby1.9 and rubyjem and railsinstaller in my system, and i start working , i am creating controls and model using rails console commands like rails generate controller post for controllers and View, rails generate model post for model then rake db:migrate and start writing insert and update commands on rails console. am i following right way Colin, please guide me right way of learning

I am very much thankful to you Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1094734:

Hi friends,

Colin

Hey Colin Law,

Thank you a lot for your help, here our managers recommended work on windows 7 , i installed ruby1.9 and rubyjem and railsinstaller in my system, and i start working ,

Why do your managers recommend using Windows for RoR development when it is not the best way? If you are forced to use Windows then I believe it is possible, but you will find it much more difficult getting help here as most Rails developers do not use Windows.

i am creating controls and model using rails console commands like rails generate controller post for controllers and View, rails generate model post for model then rake db:migrate and start writing insert and update commands on rails console. am i following right way Colin, please guide me right way of learning

I have suggested twice working right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org. Now I have suggested it three times.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1094741: