I'm sure all of this is online but I learn so much faster if I can just
talk/chat/swap post with a few kind experts... so thanks in advance for
any help and hand holding as I post a number of newbie questions.
I've created Access data bases and done some ASP server side
scripting... a few years back... now want to move on to MySQL or some
other dB. Was suggested I look at Ruby on Rails.
1 - Is Ruby a server side language and Rails a data base application
- that runs under Ruby...
- or is Rails the language & Ruby the application?
- and creates server side scripting and client web pages
- so the clients can access the online data base?
2 - What is the simplest way we can setup to play with Ruby & Rails ?
- Must we setup a linux server with Apache as the web server
- Or can we set it up on an old XP Pro machine with IIS ?
3 - Once we have a web server runing what is the process...\
a - Install Ruby on the web server
b - Install Rails on the server
4 - Once all is installed can we run Ruby on Rails on a remote client
machine to create our online database application and the scripted web
pages so that clients can access the dB?
Thanks again for any help.