Just started with RubyOnRails

Dear gentlemen/madams,

i am in need to develop a program that is supposed to use the web as its primary support for user interface. It is supposed to be developed in three tier: model, logic, view. I do enjoy programming and started to develop it in ANSI C. But since i would like to keep focused on my business stuff i decided to forget using C in favor of Ruby On Rails.

I would like to have access to something easy for using and deploying ...

I have just visited the rubyonrails web site and download it for my windows desktop. I should admit i am tottaly confused by this new technology. Not because there is no documentation, but because of excess of it.

In such context (rubyonrails): Where does it start (ruby)? Where does it end? And about rails? Where is its begin/finish ? I am a total beginner and knows nothing about the subject.

My application is supposed to be in web 2.0! Is rubyonrails+mysql a good approach? Does anybody here use such? I would like to use rubyonrails for deploying my web 2.0 web application. Could some experienced developer here provide (based on his/her own experience with rubyonrails) a carefull list on reading tutorials for my learing period before i can reach my goal?

Thanks a lot for your time and cooperation.

Best regards.

hey, i'm a new ruby on rails developer too, having used php and asp.net in the past for my server side web development, RoR was definitely a new concept of development for me.

since you're using windows, if you haven't already, i'd suggest you download and install instantrails, which is available at

http://rubyforge.org/projects/instantrails/

it has everything you need to get up and running with RoR, including Apache, Mysql, Mongrel, RoR framework and helper scripts, etc

once installed i'd suggest this tutorial for InstantRails specifically;

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/tutorial/index.html

after you go through the tutorial (it took me several times and alot of rereading and backtracking to understand everything) then you can follow up by searching google for ruby on rails tutorials, you'll find plenty, here is a link with several tutorials