"We're sorry, but something went wrong." from RoR app

Hi All,

"We're sorry, but something went wrong." is the message I got when I started up an RoR app in the environment:

Rails 2.3.5 Ruby 1.8.6 WinXP-Pro/SP3 Firefox 3.6 MySQL 5.0.37-community-nt Mongrel

The app under development was working fine until I (stupidly) thought I needed to upgrade MySQL to 5.1.44.

I took the precaution of MySQL-dumping the development db before upgrading. Then I ran into problems which led me to switch back to a clean install of 5.0.37 and reboot.

I used MySQL to reinstall the development db and tested it successfully under the MySQL client.

I started up Mongrel and ran my app using localhost:3000, getting the captioned message.

The development log is presented below. Suggestions are extremely welcome.

Thanks in Advance, Richard

Development.log

RichardOnRails wrote:

Hi All,

"We're sorry, but something went wrong." is the message I got when I started up an RoR app in the environment:

Rails 2.3.5 Ruby 1.8.6 WinXP-Pro/SP3 Firefox 3.6 MySQL 5.0.37-community-nt Mongrel

The app under development was working fine until I (stupidly) thought I needed to upgrade MySQL to 5.1.44.

http://trevoke.net/blog/2009/09/25/fix-for-windows-rails-2-2-mysql-5-1-error/

I think you may have a similar issue. The post may not solve your issue, but it should get you going in the right direction.

Try reinstalling mysql gem!

Hi Aldric & Sandip,

Thanks for your ideas. It's great to have friends around the world.

After I posted the message, I went on a bug hunt that, after two hours, revealed that the message should have been supplemented with: Database "RTS_Development" does not exist". Then I would have known that my restoration of the development database was mis-named. The I would have exported the bad and renamed my import.

But alas, I had to find this out for myself. There was no way I could have posted all the details of my misadventure to y'all so that you'd have a chance at spotting my error.

So, again, thanks. I'm OK for now, but another problem will crop up soon, no doubt.

Best wishes, Richard

Check out yours database and table is they are fine ? and if possible rebuilt app or reconfigure database.yml

thanks its about database connectivity issue i think

Pleas check your routes.rb file and configure your map.root parameter. You can use the tutorial below or assistance.

tutorial: Getting Started with Rails — Ruby on Rails Guides see section 4

I've got the entire application back to where I was before I thought upgrading MySQL might be the solution to my problem.

The problem was that I added an expense item which included an amount, say 10.50. After saving the new item, the expense amount displayed as simply 10 -- no .50 anywhere. I finally realized my problem was scale=0 for my amount column.

I generated/edited this migration to fix my problem. Do you think it will work if I use rake to apply it?

class ChangeExpenseTblAmountCol < ActiveRecord::Migration   def self.up     class Expense       change_column :amount, decimal :precision=>10, scale=>2     end   end

def self.down   end end

Or should I have simply changed the class name (which is simply the name I gave to the generator). I'm running Rails 2.3.5, Ruby 1.8.6 and MySQL 5.0.37-community-nt

Richard,

Straight to the point.

There are a few ways to get out of this problem, most of them driving you to a MySQL DLL downgrade.

IMHO, the fact is MySQL 5.1 doesn't work properly with RoR, so, stick with 5.0, report the problem to MySQL staff and wait for: an official patch for 5.1, or for the 5.2 hoping it will solve the problem.

That is it.

RichardOnRails wrote: