We're sorry, but something went wrong...

I am an RoR newb, so bear with me here. I am on an Intel based Mac running OS X 10.4.11

I have started the 'RoR Essentials' tutorial on lynda.com. I have installed (I believe) all the necessary components:

ruby 1.8.7 (2008-05-31 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.11.1] Rails 2.3.8 gem version 1.3.5 mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.47, for apple-darwin8.11.1 (i386) using readline 5.1 WEBrick 1.3.1

Following the tutorial:

Created project 'my_app'

$ rails -d mysql my_app   (It is my understanding I need to define MySQL as the database as MySQLite is Rails the default)

Start the server. Access the RoR home page at http://localhost:3000/.

This page displays as expected but...

When I select 'About your application's environment' I get the error

"We're sorry, but something went wrong. We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly."

At this point in the development log I see:

/!\ FAILSAFE /!\ Sun Jun 13 19:22:05 -0400 2010   Status: 500 Internal Server Error   Unknown database 'my_app_development'...

I ignore this error and go ahead and create the ('say') controller (say_controller.rb) per the tutorial:

$ script/generate controller Say

and add the 'hello' method

Attempting then to access:

http://localhost:3000/say/hello

generates the same "We're sorry, but something went wrong." error is returned. I am supposed to get a 'Template is missing' error.

Added to the development log now includes:

/!\ FAILSAFE /!\ Sun Jun 13 19:33:38 -0400 2010   Status: 500 Internal Server Error   Unknown database 'my_app_development'

I have seen a suggestion to revert to MySQL 5.0 but I cannot find where to download it to even try.

Thank you in advance for your support.

I am an RoR newb, so bear with me here. I am on an Intel based Mac running OS X 10.4.11

I have started the 'RoR Essentials' tutorial on lynda.com. I have installed (I believe) all the necessary components:

ruby 1.8.7 (2008-05-31 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.11.1] Rails 2.3.8 gem version 1.3.5 mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.47, for apple-darwin8.11.1 (i386) using readline 5.1 WEBrick 1.3.1

Following the tutorial:

Created project 'my_app'

$ rails -d mysql my_app (It is my understanding I need to define MySQL as the database as MySQLite is Rails the default)

Start the server. Access the RoR home page at http://localhost:3000/.

This page displays as expected but...

When I select 'About your application's environment' I get the error

"We're sorry, but something went wrong. We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly."

At this point in the development log I see:

/!\ FAILSAFE /!\ Sun Jun 13 19:22:05 -0400 2010 Status: 500 Internal Server Error Unknown database 'my_app_development'...

I ignore this error and go ahead and create the ('say') controller (say_controller.rb) per the tutorial:

Generally (but not always) error messages are useful and are best not ignored :slight_smile: The error is complaining that the database does not exist. I guess that in config/database.yml you have specified my_app_development as the database. The app tries to open this and is failing. Create the db and that error should disappear. rake db:create should do it (provided you have set user and password in database.yml correctly).

Colin

Since I am that much of a newb and unfamiliar with the 'rake' command (notwithstanding your instructions) I removed the db names from 'database.yml' and that solved the issue - for now.

I suspect I may encounter another issue when I get to the part in the tutorial when the database *is* created?

I don't understand why then in the tutorial there was not a problem. I am sure I did not miss the/a part where the db was created. I did follow the instructions for creating a password for MySQL user 'root' (newb to MySQL, and programming in general as well!). If you could shed any light on that it would be appreciated.

But now I can forge ahead! Thank you!!

I imagine I will be utilizing this board pretty frequently as I move forward.

Sorry, I do not know that tutorial. You could ask the supplier.

By the way, it is generally preferred not to top post in this list, rather insert your reply at the appropriate points in the previous mail.

Colin

Hi, I think you need to rake db:create

Then if still have the error, then look at config/database.yml as it might point to your login credentials being wrong.

GFP wrote:

Er, why are you still on Tiger?

I have started the 'RoR Essentials' tutorial on lynda.com.

Don't. That tutorial is way out of date. You won't be able to use it with current Rails versions. Follow a recent tutorial; perhaps the Rails Guides at http://guides.rubyonrails.org are a good place to start.

Best,