weird results i'm getting please explain

Jamal,

Your code does explain what's going on. Time.parse is not returning
what you would expect because you are passing in just the String
representation of a month (rather than of a complete date). An easy
way to make it do what you want is to tack on a day to the end of the
string.

For instance (in IRB):

>> Time.parse("03") => Sat Jun 02 12:46:40 CDT 2007 >> Time.parse("04") => Sat Jun 02 12:46:44 CDT 2007 >> Time.parse("03/01") => Thu Mar 01 00:00:00 CST 2007 >> Time.parse("04/01") => Sun Apr 01 00:00:00 CDT 2007 >> Time.parse("04/01").strftime("%b") => "Apr"

I hope this helps,

David

Well, the problem is that when you only pass Time.parse a single number, it does not know how to interpret that. Is it a month? A year? A day? There's no real way to tell. The way Time.parse works is it tries to match the string you pass in against a series of patterns. Most of the time, it does what you want. (i.e., if a person could tell how to interpret the string as a date, Time.parse probably will be able to as well). The exact details of how it does the matching, however, are complex. The best place to look is probably the source code -- see the _parse method in date/format.rb in the standard libs if you want to see exactly what it's doing -- there's a lot of code there, but it's pretty readable, as long as you grok regular expressions.

Thanks,

David L Altenburg http://gensym.org