web site monitoring

What do most people use for monitoring their sites? Internally hosted software like mint/nagios? Or external services like keynote? I'm trying to gauge what the best options are....

thanks for any comments. phil

phil.swenson@gmail.com a écrit :

What do most people use for monitoring their sites? Internally hosted software like mint/nagios? Or external services like keynote? I'm trying to gauge what the best options are....

thanks for any comments. phil

I use Awstats : http://awstats.sourceforge.net/ and it works just fine.

Did you mean monitoring, as in webstats, or monitoring as in security monitoring?

Webstats -- Awstats (for political reasons, I refuse to use Webalizer, but that is another option)

Security monitoring -- try Watchdog.

Actually I was thinking about detecting site problems (server down, site not returning the expected values)....

try montastic or pingability

we're using Nagios to monitor a few dozen web and db servers. it works great but isn't exactly a 'snap' to setup.

One way to do this is using HeartBeat: http://heartbeat.highgroove.com/

It's a Rails application that combines a number of tasks for Rails apps.

--Jeremy

What's nice about this application, if I must say so myself, is that with it monitoring your site, you won't run into problems with mysql timeout drops, espcially if you let it monitor an important page, like say, user/signup or something like that.

We have more plans in store for Heartbeat, but our wonderful clients are keeping us so busy, we haven't had time to roll out any of the new stuff (like push button deployment using capistrano)!

Cheers, and let us know if you have any questions/feedback.

I use www.site24x7.com to monitor my sites. It's free, simple, and seems to work well. It will monitor a URL as frequently as ever 5 minutes and it provides nice graphical reporting. It can also be set up to test a transaction, and you can set various email and sms alerts.

Michael Slater www.mslater.com

Monit is also good. Spots high memory usage, long timeouts and will do force quits and restarts if there's a problem that doesn't resolve.