Recommendation for Performance Monitoring Service?

Can anyone recommend a performance/uptime monitoring service they use?

I've been searching Google for an hour, but all I've been able to find are keynote.com, with its incomprehensibly thick corporate wording/ imaging (and completely hidden pricing structure... having to submit a form to find out prices for a service is a big pet peeve of mine), and every other one of the services I can find have 1/100th the traffic of Keynote, which makes me wary of their reliability.

Please tell me there is a choice besides Keynote that someone has used successfully used to determine their applications uptime/ performance...!

Thanks, Bill

P.S. Prolly wouldn't hurt me to hear about ways to monitor my production server's performance manually, but we have more money than we do time to try to get performance information.

Can anyone recommend a performance/uptime monitoring service they use?

I've been searching Google for an hour, but all I've been able to find are keynote.com, with its incomprehensibly thick corporate wording/ imaging (and completely hidden pricing structure... having to submit a form to find out prices for a service is a big pet peeve of mine), and every other one of the services I can find have 1/100th the traffic of Keynote, which makes me wary of their reliability.

Please tell me there is a choice besides Keynote that someone has used successfully used to determine their applications uptime/ performance...!

Haven't used it (but when I dropped by their booth at a conference it looked pretty slick) but you might want to look at fiveruns

Fred

Thanks, Bill

P.S. Prolly wouldn't hurt me to hear about ways to monitor my production server's performance manually, but we have more money than we do time to try to get performance information.

Not a particularly sharp tool, but in the past i've used production_log_analyzer. Feed it your log files and it shows you min/max/average times for your actions.

Fred

Thanks for the response, Fred!

We actually have tried Fiveruns (twice... and posted a review at: Rails Review: Fiveruns – Relentless Simplicity), and for the time being, we're on hiatus from the bugs and difficulties we experienced with them.

If anyone else knows of any better services (preferably an external one), I'm still all ears.

Thanks, Bill

There's Scout, but I don't know much about it.

Look into pingability.com, montastic.com for uptime monitoring. In
terms of performance, Google can do some benchmarking as part of the
Analytics IIRC. And pleez keep this discussion alive. These tools
don't get enough airtime on the Rails list anymore.

HTH

Maybe have a look at http://www.newrelic.com and their RPM service. I have heard some good stuff about their app so it likely worth a look.

--Cory

not sure for performance but for uptime Nagios is the best, for performance you can use tools like siege that will test your application as much as you can to see if it can handle the traffic, I'm sure there are many more.

CF.

CPerry wrote: