Using hash.keys - why doesn't it display in order created

I am using .keys on a hash to create an array that is than displayed in a view with .each - why does it not display the keys in the order added to the hash?

I would like to controll how the array is displayed - I want the checkboxes to display like I added them to the hash, but it doesn't - I can't figure out how it is displayed, when I change the order of the hash it does little to the view.

Please help - thanks, K

Code

Controller

Hi~

I am using .keys on a hash to create an array that is than displayed in a view with .each - why does it not display the keys in the order added to the hash?

I would like to controll how the array is displayed - I want the checkboxes to display like I added them to the hash, but it doesn't - I can't figure out how it is displayed, when I change the order of the hash it does little to the view.

Please help - thanks, K

Code

Controller ----------------- # creates my hash def mod_types     {'Learning Objects' => LearnObjResource, 'RSS Feed' => RssResource, 'Blank Module' => BlankResource,'Course Librarian' => LibResource, 'Professor Information' => InstResource, 'Course Assignment' => AssignResource, 'Style Guides' => StyleResource, 'Plagiarism Information' => PlagResource, 'Instructor Recommends' => RecomResource, 'Course Reserves' => ReserveResorce }   end

#action for view def list_modules     @mods = @user.modules     @list = mod_types.keys # here I am making an array out of the hash     if request.post?       redirect_to :action => "manage_modules"     end   end

View ----------- ... <%@list.each do |mod|%>             <%= check_box_tag("mods", mod ,false, {:class => "class"}) %>             <%= mod%><br />         <%end%>

Hashes are unordered data structures. You can't get them in order inserted with a normal hash. You will have to use an array or google for an ordered hash class for ruby.

Cheers-

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz-- Lead Rails Evangelist -- ez@engineyard.com -- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting -- (866) 518-YARD (9273)

Hi Kim,

Hashes are, by definition, unordered. Ruby does provide the sort method for Hash, though. See pg. 499 in Pickaxe for more info.

hth Bill

I don't want to sort the hash - I want to determine the order the values from the hash are displayed. I can't use an array because of what I need to be able to do after users select values.

The view uses the keys form the hash - is there any way that I can controll the order they are displayed?

as stated previously, Hash.sort, which you don't want to do, so then the answer is no, that's not to say you can't roll your own solution.

off the top of my head...

def mod_types   [ { key1 => val1 }, {key2 => val2}, ...] end

def list_modules   ...   @list = mod_types.map { |mod_type| mod_type.keys.first }   ... end

your view shouldn't have to change.

i would imagine it wouldn't take much to modify whatever it is you are doing with users, but since you didn't provide any details on that, I can't provide any possible solutions.

Kim wrote:

I don't want to sort the hash - I want to determine the order the values from the hash are displayed. I can't use an array because of what I need to be able to do after users select values.

The view uses the keys form the hash - is there any way that I can controll the order they are displayed?

AFAIK, not out of the box, but there are ordered hash implementations available; check out the Dictionary class from Ruby Facets (http://facets.rubyforge.org/api/more/classes/Dictionary.html).

Grab the code from

http://facets.rubyforge.org/repo/lib/facets/more/dictionary.rb

and you can use it in your app (drop it in 'lib' and require it as needed).

Dictionary looks good except it does not have some of the methods that hash has that I need - thanks

I went with hash.keys.sort - not really what I want but at least it is in alphabetically order.