Using an IDE as just a text editor?

I've been messing around with RadRails and Netbeans, and I can't seem to find out how to import all of the folders of my rails project. I can find each file and open it up and edit them in each of the IDEs, but I can't get it to import my entire hierarchy of folders. I feel amazingly stupid and even more embarrassed for posting this here, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Are IDEs not meant to do this?

You have to create a new project using existing source. Just go through the new project wizard in either of those IDE's to create your new project, just using existing source code.

But speaking of IDE's, if you haven't tried RubyMine, you're missing out. I've used both Aptana Radrails and Netbeans but RubyMine is head and shoulders above the two.

? Can't speak to RadRails but in NetBeans you're considered to be working on a "project", not random files and directories.

So if you've already got a Rails app, you'll use   File -> New Project -> <Category> Ruby ->     Ruby on Rails Application with Existing Sources to pick the base directory of the app. Follow the wizard from there :slight_smile:

That's based on NB 6.5, btw.

HTH!

No, RubyMine is not free. But it's also not an editor, like KomodoEdit. KomodoEdit simply supports multiple languages for syntax highlighting and such. RubyMine was built specifically for the Rails framework, in addition to ruby of course. KomodoEdit knows nothing about Rails, not to my knowledge anyway. People so often confuse their favorite _editor_ for the full-fledged IDE's.

Lee Smith wrote:

No, RubyMine is not free. But it's also not an editor, like KomodoEdit. KomodoEdit simply supports multiple languages for syntax highlighting and such. RubyMine was built specifically for the Rails framework, in addition to ruby of course. KomodoEdit knows nothing about Rails, not to my knowledge anyway. People so often confuse their favorite _editor_ for the full-fledged IDE's.

The thread was about using an IDE just as an *editor*, so I was giving editor recommendations

I've yet to find a good Rails IDE, and I'm not sure I really believe such a thing is possible. Perhaps I'll take a look at RubyMine, though; this certainly isn't the first time I've heard it praised.

On Sep 2, 10:37�pm, Marnen Laibow-Koser <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

Best,

Quoting AlwaysCharging <goodgets@gmail.com>:

I've been messing around with RadRails and Netbeans, and I can't seem to find out how to import all of the folders of my rails project. I can find each file and open it up and edit them in each of the IDEs, but I can't get it to import my entire hierarchy of folders. I feel amazingly stupid and even more embarrassed for posting this here, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Are IDEs not meant to do this?

NetBeans is not meant to be an general purpose editor. As another poster said, create a project for each. I never found a way in NetBeans to edit an ordinary/abitrary text file outside of a project. Which is why I eventually went back to Emacs for both Rails projects and other editing. However, I've found a set of Emacs key-bindings for NetBeans so I may try it again. Two editors, one set of key bindings is fine. Two different key bindings for editors slow me down unacceptably.

Jeffrey

Personally, I use Emacs for just about everything related to editing, with the exception of C# and VB.NET (VS.NET is still the best IDE for .NET).

The main strength of Emacs, for me, is that it's the same everywhere. My Emacs configuration lives in GitHub (http://github.com/duncan-bayne/ duncans_emacs) so it takes a few seconds to set up on any machine (alright, a few minutes on a Windows box).

This means I can have the same environment whether I'm working in Linux, MacOS or Windows (and I do all three regularly, often in a single day). It also means that I can ssh into a box and use the same editor that I use on my dev laptop ... bliss.

Vim is also an option is you are used to it. Several plugins extends Vim for rails development. After checking eclipse and komodo out finally I prefer to use Vim for rails. I found some blogs very useful: - http://biodegradablegeek.com/2007/12/using-vim-as-a-complete-ruby-on-rails-ide/ - Intro to Vim for Rails Development

bw

The reason I don't do that is that vi makes me want to claw my eyes out. Besides, I think it's silly to use a console editor in a situation where GUI programs are available.

Depends what you want out of your editor, surely? Do you drive your graphical IDEs primarily by the keyboard, or the mouse?

Duncan Bayne wrote:

The reason I don't do that is that vi makes me want to claw my eyes out. Besides, I think it's silly to use a console editor in a situation where GUI programs are available.

Depends what you want out of your editor, surely? Do you drive your graphical IDEs primarily by the keyboard, or the mouse?

Mostly by the keyboard. But there are things that I really prefer to do with a GUI and a mouse. Besides, if I'm spending hours coding, I find GUI editors a little more pleasant to look at for long periods.

Best,