UK Rails hosting

Hi folks,

I wonder if someone could offer me some advice for hosting Rails applications in the UK. I've been looking around and I've found a good selection of hosts, but as Rails is a (relatively) new technology on the scene there aren't many reviews around to compare. I'm about to embark on a project for a client, and I really don't want to pick a bad host as I'm sticking my neck out here a little. I could easily pick a good PHP host and go that route, but I really want to push Rails. I just need to find a reliable (and scalable) host.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Cliff

Why do you have a real want for UK hosts? Do you want a data center you can visit?

The UK is a small place in a big world, you’d be best looking everywhere really. I like Slicehost.com, or if possible EngineYard.com

Cheers

Zach Inglis

→ Blog – http://www.zachinglis.com

→ Company – http://www.lt3media.com

→ Portfolio – http://portfolio.zachinglis.com

The site serves a UK only audience, and my client will be better served with a host they can talk to during UK business hours. I had a reply from Tom at EngineYard about another matter, but actually EngineYard is expensive. I've actually been looking at Media72, but it's still difficult to tell what they'll be like in a real world situation - which is why I'm looking for real user feedback.

Thanks for the reply, though :slight_smile:

Cliff

Zach Inglis // LT3media wrote:

Thanks, but I'd really like to hear some feedback on UK hosts :slight_smile:

David Pennington wrote:

Cliff Rowley wrote:

Thanks, but I'd really like to hear some feedback on UK hosts :slight_smile:

David Pennington wrote:   

Cliff Rowley wrote:   

Hi folks,

I wonder if someone could offer me some advice for hosting Rails applications in the UK. I've been looking around and I've found a good selection of hosts, but as Rails is a (relatively) new technology on the scene there aren't many reviews around to compare. I'm about to embark on a project for a client, and I really don't want to pick a bad host as I'm sticking my neck out here a little. I could easily pick a good PHP host and go that route, but I really want to push Rails. I just need to find a reliable (and scalable) host.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Cliff     

Zach is right. We are in the UK but have been using a co-located server in the US for years. Access through PCAnywhere or UltraVNC works well - and its probably cheaper.

David

>

I've been using Bytemark, first with a VM, and now with a dedicated host. The VM was fine, but have been really impressed with the help and setup of the DH, which they helped me configure as a Xen box.

ChrisT,

I've been using Bytemark, first with a VM, and now with a dedicated host. The VM was fine, but have been really impressed with the help and setup of the DH, which they helped me configure as a Xen box.

that information is helpful.

I like the look of this host, the prices look good for a small start up situation. i am looking to get a couple of small (private) sites up and running. I couldnt see anything on the site about Ruby on Rails. I have been using Fedora on my own servers and have been OK setting up lighty. Just wondered how easy it was to get RoR running and if you had any experience of hosting more than one app on a single VM.

Thanks Tonypm

tonypm wrote:

ChrisT,

that information is helpful.

I like the look of this host, the prices look good for a small start up situation. i am looking to get a couple of small (private) sites up and running. I couldnt see anything on the site about Ruby on Rails. I have been using Fedora on my own servers and have been OK setting up lighty. Just wondered how easy it was to get RoR running and if you had any experience of hosting more than one app on a single VM.

Thanks Tonypm

>

The guys there use Rails for their own stuff, so they have some experience of it. They tend to prefer Debian (though they have other flavours too, and I think Fedora is one of the options), but that's what I was used to. Either way, they have always been very helpful, so worth calling them up for a chat.

Hope this helps Chris

I've used Bytemark. They are OK, but the virtual machines use UML rather than Xen and can be both a little slow and lacking in memory when running Rails under any sort of load.

But they are very very helpful, and perfect if you have a small setup (or are suffering with problems with the European Data Protection legislation that causes issues with using US based hosts).

NeilW

I wonder if someone could offer me some advice for hosting Rails applications in the UK. I've been looking around and I've found a good selection of hosts, but as Rails is a (relatively) new technology on the scene there aren't many reviews around to compare.

I am making this suggestion to see who cuts me down...

What about 1and1.co.uk ? They offer dedicated linux boxes from £50/month, and you get a serial console hookup plus a way to netboot into a backup operating system.

I use the "recovery" features to boot into a rescue debian install, then format the box and install the OS of my choice and it seems pretty straightforward. They just added some noddy firewall system that you can put externally to your own box, and so you even have a backup in case you can't write iptables rules

Personally I then use vservers and clone them in order to have lots of virtual servers. SSH works into each vhost with a bit of tweaking. I also have grsec partially engaged

Those guys also do standard "hosting", but haven't tried it. To be honest once you have 3 hosting packages with them then you could have bought your own box already anyway.

I have only been renting a box for about 9 months, but haven't had a glitch in that time. No other association other than I now have two boxes with them. Hope this will flush out someone who tells me why it's a bad host so that I can learn for myself...?

Ed

I've had lots of experience with 1and1, and although I think that generally they are an adequate host - I personally won't use or recommend them. There are a few things I don't like about them.
Firstly, they are great until something goes wrong - and then it's near impossible to get through to someone in support, and when one finally gets through, the actual quality of support is dismal. They've left us high and dry without a server for over a week in the past, and this has happened more than once.

Also I don't like the fact that the dedicated servers in Germany are cheaper than those in the UK - but when you sign up in the UK, you end up with a server in Germany anyway! That to me is just plain insulting.

So no 1and1 for me :wink:

Ed W wrote:

I've used xtrahost's Xen offering for one client. Very impressed so far, no problems at all.

Steve

Thanks for your input guys, I'm still researching hosts but currently I'm looking at Media72.

Cliff

This may not fit your time scale, but I just saw this and it might be interesting to you.

http://www.rubyinside.com/brightbox-finally-a-rails-focused-vps-in-the-uk-530.html