Trubelshooting MS Sql database connection

Hello i have been atempting to move a project from sqlite database to a sql server database with absolutly no success. i am now going to document my entire process so that mabey someone can se the error of my ways. And if some one else has this problem this migth act as a troubleshooting guide.

1. Install ruby 192.p0 from http://rubyinstaller.com/downloads (ticked both boxes ie add to PATH and associate files) installation folder is c:/ruby192

2.Install rails via "gem install rails"

3. Install mongrel via "gem install mongrel --pre"

4. install the sql adapter via "gem install activerecord-swlserver-adapter"

5. install dbd-odbc via "gem install dbd-odbc" this also installed the dbi gem so i wont install this from a separate command

Ok now everything i need to start RoR with mongrel and Sql Server should be installed as far as i know on to the gem file

gem 'rails'#, '3.0.1'

require 'activerecord-sqlserver-adapter' gem 'mongrel', '1.2.0.pre2' require 'dbi'

and then the database.yml

development: adapter: sqlserver mode: odbc database: NameOfMyDB host: localhost dsn: name_of_my_db autocommit: true username: something password: something

Notes about this conf dsn is the same name as the dsn i created with the odbc data source administrator tool this is a system DSN by the way i have also tried with file DSN

Ok now on to running my app

i go to the directory wich is located as follows

D:/projects/railsdev/projectname/

so i go there and execute bundle install the result of this is Error require: no such file to load --activerecord-sqlserver-adapter

if i change my require to a gem command everything is installed and the server starts when i try to connect to the database i get another error LoadError (no such file to load --odbc)

i have been loosing sleep over this please tell me what am i doing wrong ?

take a look at http://www.10pines.com/content/deploy-ruby-rails-windows-2008-server-and-iis-70

greets

Thanks seems rather comprehensive i will go through your tutorial.

It’s not my tutorial. Just I found it some days ago

I finally got it working after a lot of googeling around big thanks to http://github.com/rails-sqlserver/activerecord-sqlserver-adapter/wiki/Platform-Installation---Windows for pointing me towards ruby-odbc which was the final peice to solve my puzzle

How to get Ruby on Rails working with MS SQLServer2008 and windows server 2003 This mini tutorial assumes MS SQLServer2008 is installed and running i will be using mongrel to deploy

1. Install ruby via www.rubyinstaller.org (i used 1.8.7 version) 2. Install the DevKit (otherwise all gems won´t install properly) 3. Start a command promt with ruby via the start menu 4. Install rails gem install rails 5. Get a cup of coffee this will take a while 6. install mongrel gem install mongrel --pre (2010-10-27 this was the way to do it, this will change) 7. install ruby-odbc gem install ruby-odbc 8. install activerecord-sqlserver-adapter gem install activerecord-sqlserver-adapter 9. install dbi gem install dbi 10. install rails-dbi gem install rails-dbi NOTE: the reason for installing rails dbi and putting gem 'rails- dbi', :require => 'dbi' in the gem file is a conflict with the dbi and the deprecated gems. This issue migth be resolved in the future. 11. Now its time to get on with editing our gemfile

put this in it

gem 'rails-dbi', :require => 'dbi' gem 'ruby-odbc' gem 'activerecord-sqlserver-adapter' gem 'mongrel', '1.2.0.pre2' #this line will probably change in the future this is written 2010-10-27

Then you need a connection string this will be in your config/ database.yml file

development: adapter: sqlserver driver: Sql Client mode: odbc database: DatabaseName host: localhost/SQLSERVER2008 dsn: dsn_name autocommit: true username: user password: pass

NOTE: # localhost migth suffice or if you have mutilple named instances like me you have to include that as well About dsn: the dsn is created via the Data Sources(ODBC) tool under administrative tools Create a System DSN with the same name as dsn: dsn_name under client configuration use TCP/IP(this should be default just adding this so you know that this is correct)

now try to create a new project and a scaffold do a bundle install and rake db:migrate if all went well you should be able to start your server via rails server and start doing som CRUD against your SQLServer2008 database

I finally got it working after a lot of googeling around big thanks to http://github.com/rails-sqlserver/activerecord-sqlserver-adapter/wiki/Platform-Installation---Windows for pointing me towards ruby-odbc which was the final peice to solve my puzzle

How to get Ruby on Rails working with MS SQLServer2008 and windows server 2003 This mini tutorial assumes MS SQLServer2008 is installed and running i will be using mongrel to deploy

1. Install ruby via www.rubyinstaller.org (i used 1.8.7 version) 2. Install the DevKit (otherwise all gems won´t install properly) 3. Start a command promt with ruby via the start menu 4. Install rails gem install rails 5. Get a cup of coffee this will take a while 6. install mongrel gem install mongrel --pre (2010-10-27 this was the way to do it, this will change) 7. install ruby-odbc gem install ruby-odbc 8. install activerecord-sqlserver-adapter gem install activerecord-sqlserver-adapter 9. install dbi gem install dbi 10. install rails-dbi gem install rails-dbi NOTE: the reason for installing rails dbi and putting gem 'rails- dbi', :require => 'dbi' in the gem file is a conflict with the dbi and the deprecated gems. This issue migth be resolved in the future. 11. Now its time to get on with editing our gemfile

put this in it

gem 'rails-dbi', :require => 'dbi' gem 'ruby-odbc' gem 'activerecord-sqlserver-adapter' gem 'mongrel', '1.2.0.pre2' #this line will probably change in the future this is written 2010-10-27

Then you need a connection string this will be in your config/ database.yml file

development: adapter: sqlserver driver: Sql Client mode: odbc database: DatabaseName host: localhost/SQLSERVER2008 dsn: dsn_name autocommit: true username: user password: pass

NOTE: # localhost migth suffice or if you have mutilple named instances like me you have to include that as well About dsn: the dsn is created via the Data Sources(ODBC) tool under administrative tools Create a System DSN with the same name as dsn: dsn_name under client configuration use TCP/IP(this should be default just adding this so you know that this is correct)

now try to create a new project and a scaffold do a bundle install and rake db:migrate if all went well you should be able to start your server via rails server and start doing som CRUD against your SQLServer2008 database