Trouble with RVM permissions when executing a command line 'bundle install'

Hello,

I heard from 37signals that this is where the go to people hang out for Ruby on Rails. I included a full screenshot of my Terminal interaction, as well as a "brief" explanation below.

I am taking a Ruby on Rails class on Skillshare.com. It's a great class, but I'm just learning programming. RoR is starting to make some sense to me, but I am having trouble with the final lesson, which is getting it online. I've asked our class and instructor (who is very good, no disrespect) for help and haven't been able to solve it yet. I'm begging for someone to help me.

I'm on a Macbook running 10.7x. When I run 'bundle install', from the command line, it starts 'Fetching data...' and 'Resolving dependencies.'

Then after it says "Using multi_json (1.8.4)", I get this error:

=====> Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

/usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p392/bin/ruby extconf.rb *** extconf.rb failed *** Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more details. You may need configuration options.

An error occurred while installing atomic (1.1.14), and Bundler cannot continue. Make sure that `gem install atomic -v '1.1.14'` succeeds before bundling.

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError) You don't have write permissions into the /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p392 directory.

<============

Any help would be great. I have installed XCODE v.4.6.3 (which is the latest for OS 10.7x) and the development tools that go with it, but still get the same error message.

BTW, I am using the command line from the administrator account, but I previously installed RoR on my personal account on the computer. So I don't know if it's trying to access those files when doing the bundle install, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help,

Eric

ERROR: While executing gem … (Gem::FilePermissionError) You don’t have write permissions into the /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p392 directory.

That looks like a systemwide install of rvm - normally the rvm folder is in your home folder so that there are no permission problems. I’d be very tempted to remove rvm and reinstall it (when you install rvm, don’t use sudo - just install it as your regular user)

Fred

Fred,

How do I go about removing rvm? I don’t remember setting up a root user password on my computer, When I search “Spotlight” for rvm, I get some other gem and ruby folders it looks like, but not something named rvm.

Thanks for your help,

Eric

You have two options:

1. fix the permissions:
  • make sure you are in rvm group, run “id” and there should be group “rvm” - if it is not there run: rvm group add rvm $USER
  • make sure that rvm is up to date and has properly set permissions: rvm get stable; rvm fix-permissions
  • restart your computer - it might be required to apply permission changes and to properly load your environment
  1. uninstall system rvm and install it in home:
  • run: sudo rm -rf /etc/profile.d/rvm.sh /etc/rvmrc /usr/local/rvm $HOME/.rvm*
  • make sure your environment is empty of old rvm, run “env | grep rvm” if it is empty it’s all fine, if not - restart computer to ensure your environment is reset
  • install rvm: \curl -L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable
  • follow the installation instructions and install ruby: rvm install ruby

Fred,

How do I go about removing rvm? I don’t remember setting up a root user password on my computer, When I search “Spotlight” for rvm, I get some other gem and ruby folders it looks like, but not something named rvm.

rvm implode

removes rvm (although I don’t think it does anything much beyond deleting the /usr/local/rvm directory). If you had previously installed rvm by prefixing the install command with sudo, that would have done a system wide install if I remember correctly.

Fred

Michael,

Thank you for helping. I followed your directions to fix the permissions, and I was able to run the bundle install, without errors!

You are the man!! Thank you so much!

Eric

computer:crumblr admin$ rails server

/usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p392/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency.rb:247:in `to_specs’: Could not find railties (>= 0) amongst [i18n-0.6.9, minitest-4.7.5, multi_json-1.8.4, rake-10.1.1] (Gem::LoadError)

from /usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p392/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency.rb:256:in `to_spec'

from /usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p392/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems.rb:1231:in `gem'

from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p392/bin/rails:18:in `<main>'

from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p392/bin/ruby_noexec_wrapper:14:in `eval'

from /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p392/bin/ruby_noexec_wrapper:14:in `<main>'