triple state radio buttons

Can I coax a pair of radio buttons to consistently maintain their triple state functionality (null, true, false)?

In others words allow the user to undo a response and return the control to a null state (nothing selected).

I hope this isn't coming down to some sort of Javascript workaround.

Thanks much. Bill

Can I coax a pair of radio buttons to consistently maintain their triple state functionality (null, true, false)?

In others words allow the user to undo a response and return the control to a null state (nothing selected).

I hope this isn't coming down to some sort of Javascript workaround.

I don't think so. radio button parameters are either

... passed with a value (if clicked) or ... passed with an empty value or not passed at all (if not clicked)

There's no way to distinguish b/n unclicked (which would be your false I assume) and null.

Why not turn them into drop downs with blank/true/false as values?

Thanks for the reply, Philip.

Dropdown boxes are cumbersome visually and ergonomically for the user and I would rather not go there.

If I have a pair of grouped Ruby generated radio buttons, then following are the initial possibilities or states:

false - false (in which case presumably a null is returned) false - true (returns a 0) true - false (returns a non-zero)

It appears that some ivory towered radio button designer never conceived that a user might click on a radio button group, change their mind and want to undo the click therefore returning to a false- false state. Some languages providing for a user interface have caught on, some haven't.

Is it perhaps possible to do this by grouping a couple of checkboxes and set then them up so that the user can select either one or none??

Thanks again, Bill Th

Quoting the HTML 4 spec:

If no radio button in a set sharing the same control name is initially "on", user agent behavior for choosing which control is initially "on" is undefined. Note. Since existing implementations handle this case differently, the current specification differs from RFC 1866 ([RFC1866] section 8.1.2.4), which states:

At all times, exactly one of the radio buttons in a set is checked.   If none of the <INPUT> elements of a set of radio buttons specifies   `CHECKED', then the user agent must check the first radio button   of the set initially.

Since user agent behavior differs, authors should ensure that in each set of radio buttons that one is initially "on". </quote>

If you want a "no preference" option, you should provide one explicitly.

FWIW,

As the previous poster said, provide a "Neither" or "None" option and have that one be selected as the default when the page loads. That is much easier for a user to understand as well.

I appreciate the answers and help.

So I added a third radio button to the group. Remember that what I need is a three state situation (null, true, false). This of course effectively gives me a quadruple state. So I set the third radio button's value to NIL which gets me back to a three state situation..

Now let me provide a little background. This is being used for a lengthy questionnaire (there are 50+ sets of questions). In short, part of good questionnaire design requires that the design doesn't bias the respondant to particular answers.

So I don't want the radio button group to show a default value. It potentially confuses respondants and may bias their input. However with the above configuration (the third radio button value of NIL), this becomes the default value and is diplayed to user as checked . Is there a way to avoid this. If I am going to use a three button group configuration, I need to have them all unchecked initially.

Thanks, Bill

What if you have the third/null value hidden? You can use javascript for a "clear choice" link or something, which would check the 3, hidden radio button. It could also be the default for new.

You could provide the third button hidden and initially checked. Show it with javascript when one of the other buttons is checked so that the user then has the option of selecting it again. You could then make it disapear again when selected if you wanted to.

Colin

And as the W3C spec I quoted indicates, you *can't count on that* if you're using HTML. Period. If none are explicitly checked by you, the user agent can check any one it wants as a default. Adding a third button doesn't change that.

Perhaps you should explore using something like Flash/Flex for your interface?

Hi Hassan,

Do you have any idea of what behavior to expect if I explicitly set each radio button's checked property to unchecked? What will take precedence according to W3C specs (or is this all just another browser war casualty)?

<%= f.radio_button(:hypotonic_saline, nil, :checked => "unchecked") %>

Thanks, Bill

Again, it's up to the user-agent how it handles this situation. I'd just suggest 1) either accepting having a visible "no preference" choice (and make it visually obvious that it's a default) or 2) trying what you suggest and testing thoroughly in all the "standard" browsers.

You'll have to decide how long that #2 list is for your audience :slight_smile:

HTH,

Why not provide an "Clear" button that deselects all the radio buttons in the group? That's simple Javascript, and I wouldn't call it a "workaround". It explicitly provides the functionality that you appear to want -- a mechanism for a user to undo a response. Seems like a much simpler and more deft solution to the problem than trying to rejigger the semantics of radio buttons.

Hmmm... I can use a Javascript solution and assume/hope the worlds' browsers are all JS enabled. Or use a non-JS solution and assume/hope the browsers/versions I don't test for will see things the same way. Either way I don't see things degrading nicely.

My bias (rational or otherwise) is against Javascript. But if I throw in the towel and go that direction, then I think I would consider creating some sort of checkbox group and use JS to make sure that only one checkbox per group could be selected.

Cheers, Bill

A final THANK YOU to all the good folks who took time to reply. Alas, the suggestions were somewhat unpalatable to me, but at least I am not still scouring google thinking I have missed some simple alternative. Sometimes you just can't get there from here.

I have finally gone with the three radio button option with first one's value set to nil and the entire group explicitely set to unchecked. So far RFC1866 section 8.1.2.4 hasn't protested about this breach of propriety and forced a switch in the unchecked status - at least not in the half dozen browser flavors I've tested so far.

Cheers, Bill