to change ruby187 code on rails 235 to ruby192 on rails3

Hi Railsers,

I want to transport my codes written using ruby 1.8.7 on rails 2.3.5 to ruby 1.9.2 on rails 3.0.0

Any help would do wonders...

Regards, Premanshu

I would recommend first experimenting with Rails 3. Have a look at the Rails Guides and build some test apps. Also check you can deploy to your production server.

Then the railscasts starting with #225 Upgrading to Rails 3 Part 1 - RailsCasts may be helpful.

Also obviously make sure you have a good set of automated tests before you start and commit regularly to your version control system (git or whatever) as you go.

Good luck

Colin

Premanshu Mishra wrote:

Hi Railsers,

I want to transport my codes written using ruby 1.8.7 on rails 2.3.5 to ruby 1.9.2 on rails 3.0.0

Any help would do wonders...

Hmm. Here's the way I'll probably do it when I upgrade my projects:

1. Install RVM. 2. Install Ruby 1.9.2 and Rails 3 under RVM, so I can flip back and forth between the two versions of the project. 3. Run with Ruby 1.9.2/Rails 3 and see which tests fail. 4. Pick one failing test and make it pass. 5. Refactor as necessary. 6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 till done. 7. Tidy up anything else that needs it.

Regards, Premanshu

Best,

You may want to consider rebuilding your app under Rails 3 as there is quite a bit of difference. I upgraded a project from Rails 2.3 to 3.0 and it was difficult.

There are several guides out there though for upgrading.