Ticket #8748 OpenBase Adapter Rewrite

Greetings, all!

The summary for the patch says it all ....

The OpenBase adapter was suffering from a faulty underlying library. That library has been rewritten, although rails changed a lot while the library was being rewritten. This adapter patch is the response to the changes in rails and the shiny new Ruby/OpenBase library. It still has 8 failures and 4 errors on the AR test suite, but the OpenBase users need these changes ASAP, as the adapter won't work at all on edge rails presently. We will continue to improve the adapter, and provide smaller patches as issues are resolved.

I'm sorry I couldn't get it down to 0 failures before submitting, but this patch makes the adapter quite usable. In fact, a plugin version of this patch is running at least 3 production apps that I know of and is performing very well.

Once the last of these issues are addressed, I want to get some CI set up to keep the OB adapter healthy, but at this point I think it would create more noise than it's worth ... unless someone with more CI experience knows a way to implement this without flooding the mailing list (I suppose there's always the "send notifications directly to me, not to the mailing list" approach).

Humbled to be able to contribute, -Derrick Spell

Oh yeah, and in addition to these fixes, the patch also adds support for migrations. Yeah!

-Derrick

Humbled to be able to contribute,

Great work, Derrick. Perhaps we can use this opportunity to split OpenBase out in a plugin. The intention for Rails 2.0 is to drastically slim down the number of bundled database adapters, so work on them can continue outside of the regular Rails release schedule.

Jeremy, is everything wrapped up to allow for this yet?

Actually, I've been thinking that it would be nice to be able to maintain the adapter as a plugin so that the core doesn't have to be modified every time I make a change. I am 100% for this change. In fact, the OpenBase community already has several projects working off this adapter as a plugin. Are you looking to have these adapter plugins housed in the main rails svn repos, or should adapter maintainers find their own homes for these plugins?

-Derrick