Thinking Sphinx: tabbed interface

I'm implementing search based on the recent Railscast on Thinking Sphinx. I have a reasonably complex tabbed interface for the results. The searches controller handles the searches, and :collections, like :comments => :get, handle when the user wants to break down the results in to a category (the interface has a tab for each model), giving urls like /searches/comments/:search. My searches controller only performs one find in a before_filter called load_results, so when a user clicks on a category tab, the params[:search] is passed over in the link_to for the tab and the before_filter loads the same results (am I right in thinking that the controller is only performing the search once, or do I need to do more to 'cache' the load_results in the before filter? I'm aiming to only do one search the entire time the user in in the searches controller, and to rip out only the models we need for each :collection. So far, I haven't worked out how to, a) combine the model searches in to one @results variable in the before filter, and, b) how to only take out 'result in @results' for the :collections for each model;

# a) something like this? private

def load_results     @results = Comment.search params[:search] + User.search params[:search]   end

# b) my views are doing logic which probably belongs in the controller actions, # I don't know how to do an equivalent conditional in the controller action... <% for result in @results %>   <% if result.class.name == "Comment" %>     <%= render :partial => "comments/comment", :locals => { :comment => result } %>   <% end %> <% end %>

Any ideas on either of these?