form_for search question

Hi there,

I'm going through this tutorial on Thinking Sphinx:

I'm really new to searches in rails; how do I get the search results to display on a separate search result page?

I have a search form that appears on every page (in my application.html.erb template) that looks like this:

<% form_for :recipes, :url => {:controller => "pages", :action => "searchresults"} do |f| %>   <%= f.text_field :search %>   <%= submit_tag "Search" %> <% end %>

This is a recipe search, but it doesn't even work because :search isn't a field in the recipes table. I just want to grab a params[:search] that I can use in my controller.

Here's what my pages_controller.rb looks like:

def searchresults     @recipes = Recipe.search params[:search], :page => params[:page], :per_page => 10, :field_weights => {:title => 20}, :match_mode => :boolean   end

I have no problem with this code; I have a searchresults.html.erb that matches up just fine. But params[:search] == nil, so that's no good. :frowning:

How should I construct my form?

Thanks!

I have no problem with this code; I have a searchresults.html.erb that matches up just fine. But params[:search] == nil, so that's no good. :frowning:

Check params again. you search is there, just not where you think (hint: if you put <%= debug params %> in the view, that will dump all the params to the screen. alternatively just look in development.log.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote: