Syntax Problem

I admit I am stuck. I am converting a legacy php site to ROR. The old site uses MD5, a security flaw waiting to happen. I upgraded to AAA and am adding code in the session_controller.rb file to see if crypted_password is blank. If it is, crypt and check the password against the old md5 version and write it in the new crypted_password field.

Here is my code add on before the logged_in?: def create     # if no password use old md5 and fill in with sha2     user = User.find_by_login(params[:login])     if #{user.crypted_password} == nil         #check_md5? (params[:password],#{user.old_salt},#{user.hashed_password})         @p = Digest::MD5::hexdigest("#{params[:password]}")         @s = Digest::MD5::hexdigest(user.old_salt)         @pw = Digest::MD5.hexdigest(@s+@p)       if @pw == #{user.hashed_password}         flash.now[:notice] = "Passed"         # need to write pw         #user.crypted_password = self.encrypt("#{@params[:password]}")         user.salt = user.old_salt         user.save         redirect_back_or_default('/')       end     end   end

This doesn't seem to work (I know, it is not DRY), but the 2 passwords are equal. I admit, I am new to ruby so I am sure it is my TCL'sm working against me.

Thanks

Do you see any errors in the logs? When you say "it doesn't work", what doesn't work about it? What happens if you do this

def create     # if no password use old md5 and fill in with sha2     user = User.find_by_login(params[:login])     if user.crypted_password.blank?         p Digest::MD5::hexdigest(params[:password])         s = Digest::MD5::hexdigest(user.old_salt)         pw = Digest::MD5.hexdigest(s+p)       if pw == user.hashed_password         flash.now[:notice] = "Passed"         user.update_attributes!(:crypted_password => self.encrypt(params[:password]), :salt => user.old_salt)         redirect_back_or_default('/')       end     end   end

I didn't check this code for syntax errors, but it should point you in the right direction. One thing to note, #{} only needs to surround variables when you are interpolating them in a string and you only need to preface variables with @ if you want them to be instance variables and not local variables.

-Bill

tresero wrote:

`if user.crypted_password.blank?

should be

``if user && user.crypted_password.blank?`

-Bill

William Pratt wrote:

Just a suggestion, I would think it would be better to write a migration to convert the users table to use the new password than to convert on the fly like this.

try:

if @pw == user.hashed_password ...

The # starts a comment, and since you are left with a line ending with == what you have is effectively:

if @pw == flash.now[:notice] = "Passed"

Nicolas, I can't migrate the passwords, they are md5, a very insecure hash. I am converting to SHA2, both hashes are one-way, they can't be unencrypted.

Did the version I posted work at all? Do you get any errors in the logs?

-Bill

I can get it to partially work. I am just starting work again for the day. I will post when it is done. It does not error, but the db update doesn't happen. I am debugging in script/console.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I come from many years of OpenACS/AOLServer so ROR is new to me.

Jon

Ah, yes, I see the issue :slight_smile:

I think I need a new approach. What I envision is if a user has a login and the crypted_password field is blank, compare the entered password to the old md5'd password. If that is correct, automatically generate a new hash and write the crypted password and salt fields. The first part I have done, since I am new to rails, the second is the hold up. I can't figure out how to make AAA hash and write the fields. I am 90% there but still not working. No errors are thrown, just no data is written.

I think I need a new approach. What I envision is if a user has a login and the crypted_password field is blank, compare the entered password to the old md5'd password. If that is correct, automatically generate a new hash and write the crypted password and salt fields. The first part I have done, since I am new to rails, the second is the hold up. I can't figure out how to make AAA hash and write the fields. I am 90% there but still not working. No errors are thrown, just no data is written.

Have you still got #{ ... } in your code, as Rick said ? That's just a comment so does nothing (it's only in a string that #{} indicates ruby code to be executed).

Fred

I would take a different approach and do this all in the model rather than the controller - this would make it far easier to unit test as well. I'm assuming you are using something like acts_as_authenticated or restful_authentication. Return the session controller to it's original state and do something like this in your model. Of course this is not tested, but I feel the approach is valid. The nice thing is, you can play with this at the console too if you wish.

# user model

def self.authenticate(login, password, activated=true)   user = find_by_login(login)   if user.crypted_password.blank?     user.deprecated_authenticate(login, password)   else     find_by_login_and_password_hash_and_activated(login, Digest::SHA1.hexdigest(password + PASSWORD_SALT), activated)   end end

def deprecated_authenticate(login, password)   md5_password = Digest::MD5::hexdigest(password)   md5_salt = Digest::MD5::hexdigest(user.old_salt)   password = Digest::MD5.hexdigest(md5_salt + md5_password)   if hashed_password == password     convert_password     user   else     false   end end

def convert(password)   self.password = password   self.password_confirmation = password   self.save! end

Thank you Nicolas, That is exactly what I was beginning to think. I am not used to the MVC concepts yet, but I will gladly share this when it is done, I am sure this isn't the first time it has been needed.

Jon

Are you using acts_as_authenticated? I ask because your column and method names looked similar. If you are, this can be done by calling user.update_attributes!(:password => params[:password], :password_confirmation => params[:password]). Acts_as_authenticated will create and store the hash for you.

-Bill

tresero wrote:

Yes I am using restful_authentication. Here is the code I have in controller/user.rb, changed code only.

def self.authenticate(login, password)     u = find_by_login(login) # need to get the salt     if u.crypted_password.blank?       u.deprecated_authenticate?(login, password,u.old_salt)     else       u && u.authenticated?(password) ? u : nil     end   end

def deprecated_authenticate?(login, password, old_salt)       md5_password = Digest::MD5::hexdigest(password)       md5_salt = Digest::MD5::hexdigest(old_salt)       password = Digest::MD5.hexdigest(md5_salt + md5_password)       if hashed_password == password         true       else         false       end     end

This doesn't write the user password or salt though.

OK, I got this working with one glitch. I can't get the salt to be generated/written to the db. Everything works, but there is no salt.

If you would like to post the code for your model where it converts the password and save it I might be able to work out why it's not saving the salt. Also you could simplfy this line:

if hashed_password == password         true       else         false       end

to simply this:

hashed_password == password

it will return true or false.

Cheers, Nicholas

Nicolas, Here is the code in user.rb, as I said, it works as is, but isn't saving the hash. I assume it is just not using it.

def self.authenticate(login, password)     u = find_by_login(login) # need to get the salt     if u.crypted_password.blank?       if u.deprecated_authenticate?(login, password,u.old_salt)         u.update_attributes!(:password => password,:password_confirmation => password)         logger.info 'deprecated true'       else         logger.info 'deprecated false'       end       u && u.authenticated?(password) ? u : nil     else       u && u.authenticated?(password) ? u : nil     end   end

I think I have found your problem :slight_smile: If you check the protected method encrypt_password it only creates the salt if the record is new:

self.salt = Digest::SHA1.hexdigest("--#{Time.now.to_s}--#{login}--") if new_record?

so if you create a salt first before updating the attributes you should be good to go:

for example:

u.convert_password(password) # rather than update_attributes! (:password => password,:password_confirmation => password)

def convert_password(password) self.salt = Digest::SHA1.hexdigest("--#{Time.now.to_s}--#{login}--") update_attributes(:password => password,:password_confirmation => password) save! end

Creating is method that describes what you are doing is always a good way to go - makes the code more self-documenting.