Student-course system

Hi, I'm a newbie, and I have a basic question. Please help me out with this.

I'm trying to create a system for the student-course enrollment management. These are the steps I've followed so far

1) rails App 2) script/generate scaffold Student name:string email:string 3) script/generate scaffold Course name:string section:string 4) Edited the models/course.rb to   has_many :studets, :through => :enrollments 5) Edited the models/course.rb to   has_many :courses, :through => :enrollments 6) Created script/generate model Enrollment 7) Added to the models/enrollement.rb    belongs_to :student   belongs_to :course 8) script/server 9) Added students to students table from localhost:3000/students 10)Added courses to courses table from localhost:3000/courses

Now, -I need to make enrollment have "enrolled_on" field. -Add functionality to enroll a student to a course and -Show the students enrolled in a particular course Please suggest me ways to do this.

Please guys reply.

I suggest that you start by working through all the Rails Guides at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/, starting with Getting Started obviously. The one on Database Migrations will show how to add new fields to a table. The ones on Layouts and Rendering and on Action View Form Helpers will help you to develop the views and forms for enrollment.

Do read the others also however. Not forgetting the one on Testing Rails Apps. In fact if you have not got automated tests yet then start with this one and incorporate tests before moving on.

Also if you are not already using a version control system then have a look at git (or one of the others) and start using it. Then move on to the tests and then enhancements.

Then there are many tutorials on the web which will help, but make sure they are for the current version of rails as out of date tutorials will only confuse. I think http://railstutorial.org/ is good.

Colin

4) Edited the models/course.rb to has_many :studets, :through => :enrollments

Check your spelling.

Thanks. I understood the models and controllers. I'm not able to understand how to add the code when it comes to enrolling students.

Prash Padm wrote:

Thanks. I understood the models and controllers. I'm not able to understand how to add the code when it comes to enrolling students.

Then you need to read the Rails associations guide. Then write some Cucumber stories and try it!

Best,