Newbie problems with scaffolding

Hello all,

I've started to write my first Rails application, using rails 2.3.5 and some tutorials found on the net (for example Four Days on Rails) . I've just discovered that the scaffolding information found in most (older) tutorials are completely unusable with recent rails versions .

This is my situation : - i have a PostgreSQL database with 3 tables (created manually with my own sql scripts) - i have used 'ruby script/generate model' , and the generated models seem to be ok - now i want to have the basic controller + views generated for each of the tables

I have used 'ruby script/generator scaffold MyModelName' and it has indeed generated some files. But: the views contain no fields/columns !

Please give me some hint/advice so that i can go on : how can I obtain some complete controller+views for each model (without specifying them manually as arguments) ?

Not answering your question directly but if you have not already done so I would suggest having a look at the rails guides at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/ particularly Getting Started, ActiveRecord Associations, and Debugging.The railscasts are also excellent. Also the free Rails course at http://www.buildingwebapps.com/podcasts is supposed to be good.

By the time you have worked through that lot I am sure you will answer your own questions, and probably be back here answering those from others. :slight_smile:

Colin

Hi dude,

So, to create a model, a controller and layout/views, complety functional, with basic events CRUD(create read update delete) u open a terminal, get inside the folder of your app, and write 1)ruby script/generate scaffold ModelName column1:type column2:type ...columnN:type and hit enter :slight_smile: 2)rake db:migrate

now to get u started, the proper way: 1) u need to have good undestanding of Ruby code, or at least, classes, objects, methods. this type of well grounded info can't be optained from tutorials, i have been studying computer science for 4 years, but from good bucks.And in my oppinion a good ruby book is Manning.The.Well.Grounded.Rubyist.May.2009. 2) a good rails book, which i don't have a proper example right now.what i have is Agile Web Development with Rails 3rd Ed, but if u decide to study it, get ready to meet Hell, no joking :slight_smile: 3) a good reference :raiisguides, from ruby.com, and http://railsapi.com/doc/rails-v2.3.5/ Don't quite agree with raiscasts, as reference for a noob, not at all.

hope this answer made any difference , regards, radup

Hi dude,

So, to create a model, a controller and layout/views, complety

functional, with basic events CRUD(create read update delete) u open a

terminal, get inside the folder of your app, and write

1)ruby script/generate scaffold ModelName column1:type

column2:type …columnN:type and hit enter :slight_smile:

2)rake db:migrate

The need to specify all the columns when generating is precisely what I’m hoping to avoid.

When I find some spare time I’ll try this :

• use the new-style ‘generate scaffold’ to create a complete example for a table that is not part of my application

• use the ‘generate scaffold’ without columns for my real tables

• the generated controller doesn’t seem to access the fileds by name, so perhaps the generated controller is not affected by the lack of information about columns

• manually add the fields to the views , using code copy-pasted from the complete example

If this works I’ll be able to advance with the application.

now to get u started, the proper way:

1. u need to have good undestanding of Ruby code, or at least,

classes, objects, methods.

this type of well grounded info can’t be optained from tutorials, i

have been studying computer science for 4 years, but from good

bucks.And in my oppinion a good ruby book is

Manning.The.Well.Grounded.Rubyist.May.2009.

I don’t know advanced tricks , but I am familiar with the language.

1. a good rails book, which i don’t have a proper example right

now.what i have is Agile Web Development with Rails 3rd Ed, but if u

decide to study it, get ready to meet Hell, no joking :slight_smile:

Is the learning curve really painful with Rails ?

I am lacking the time to order books and to properly learn rails : i have

the task to build a web application and have the freedom to choose any language+framework.

My current intention is to give Rails a try . But if the online documentation resources prove to be not suitable for a beginner (outdated , or disorganized)

it would be a shame to be forced to move to some other solution only because it provides a faster startup .

1. a good reference :raiisguides, from rub y.com, and

http://railsapi.com/doc/rails-v2.3.5/

Don’t quite agree with raiscasts, as reference for a noob, not at all.

I’m hoping to be able to find some updated good tutorials that are not videos. The internet connection that i have at work is totally

unusable for video :smiley:

Thanks,

Adrian