Stuck on options_from_collection_for_select

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck on something that seems to be super easy, but maybe I'm just too tired to see the obvious answer.

I'm trying to make a drop down with select_tag and options_from_collection_for_select. I'm trying to fill this drop down list with different human races (white, black, hispanic, etc. in the database under the name field, with a unique id for each) in the index page of lost_children.

I have two models:

lost_children.rb [code] belongs_to :race [/code]

race.rb [code] has_many: lost_childrens [/code]

in the index view of lost_childrens: [code] <%= select_tag options_from_collection_for_select(Race.find(:all), :id, :name) %> [/code]

This just brings up an empty drop down box. I'm thinking it may be a relationship problem between the models but at this point I can't even think clearly. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards, Tony

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck on something that seems to be super easy, but maybe I'm just too tired to see the obvious answer.

in the index view of lost_childrens: [code] <%= select_tag
options_from_collection_for_select(Race.find(:all), :id, :name) %> [/code]

This just brings up an empty drop down box. I'm thinking it may be a relationship problem between the models but at this point I can't even think clearly. Any help is greatly appreciated!

<%= select_tag 'parameter_name',
options_from_collection_for_select(Race.find(:all), :id, :name) %>

The first argument to select_tag should be the name of the parameter
(ie under what key it will appear in the params hash)

Fred

Thank you so much! Worked like a charm!!!

My best, Tony

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Tony Tony wrote:

Thank you so much! Worked like a charm!!!

Now please reconsider lumping ethnicities and races together in the same list!