SQLServer Adapter

Development and application of patches seems to have ceased on the sqlserver adapter. I would love to share a patch that rolls up some of my patches and other patches gathered from trac. The only problem is that they would most likely fall of deaf ear.

I officially want to volunteer my time as a someone who will help maintaining the sqlserver adapter. There are others out there who would like to help as well, and I encourage them to reply in this thread.

There are plenty of improvements to the adapter including workarounds for limit/offsets, actually maybe even splitting the adapter into different versions to support 2000/2005, and I know some of us want to get a jump on support 2008.

What do you think?

I’m in. It might be beneficial to start a separate google group for this so our discussions don’t clutter the rails-core group. It would be great to get some momentum going on the SQL Server adapter!

Rich C.

Hey, sorry about the lack of development. I'm going to try and pick things up over the next couple of months but after that I don't intend to maintain it. So if either of you (Rich or Bryan) want to take over, I think you've both put more than enough work into it to qualify.

A new group is a good idea (maybe a group for all adapters though, not just SQL Server as issues are ofter cross-adapter). Also, I understand there's some work on allowing adapters to be provided by gems/plugins. That will make it much easier to distribute experimental features and should speed up the pace of development.

Tom

No problem Tom, I’ve been totally overwhelmed with stuff at work the last couple of months as well. It’s hard to find time for everything!

I created a google group for SQL Server adapter discussions:

http://groups.google.com/group/rails-sqlserver-adapter/

which should give us a place to discuss what we need to do w/o cluttering up the core group…

Rich C.