Some Love for acts_as_taggable

Just wondering if someone from core can apply some of the patches to acts_as_taggable.

I recently wanted to use this plugin in an app, and found it to be, in DHH’s own word “half-baked”

I set about making some upgrades to it and then searched for patches. Back to front I know… At least I know for next time :wink:

Can someone from core take a look at these patches and apply or dismis them please. There seem to be some reasonable patches in there now for it.

Cheers Daniel

The plugin was intended as a demonstration of has_many :through, I'm not sure that adding more features gets us any closer to that goal. As with other domain-intermingling plugins, it's unlikely to be able to solve most people's problems without serious hackery. Perhaps it's best left as is, but with the documentation updated to make it clear what the intention was.

Most humbly, in my opinion to leave it the way it is would be a very misleading demonstration of has_many :through

Presently, the plugin has an sql injection bug, uses a depricated :destroy option, does not make use of the available methodologies introduced in Rails 1.2/edge, (please see patches for more) and is also barely functioning for what it claims to be. To my mind this does not demonstrate what a great feature has_many :through and ploymorphic joins are, and someone who’s just looking may be very put off by this.

I know the core guys are busy, but if the plugin is going to be included in the rails svn, shouldn’t it be as full featured and up to date as possible?

There are a number of patches trying to do just this…

I am more than happy to contribute to see this progress.

Cheers

Daniel

I pretty much rewrote the acts_as_taggable plugin to include tests and a bunch of other features.

http://svn.viney.net.nz/things/rails/plugins/acts_as_taggable_on_steroids

-Jonathan.

I pretty much rewrote the acts_as_taggable plugin to include tests and a bunch of other features.

http://svn.viney.net.nz/things/rails/plugins/acts_as_taggable_on_steroids

-Jonathan.

Thanx for the link… It looks like what I’m after. I’ll give it a spin.