SOAP web service

I am looking for a way to host a SOAP Webserver that serves the data as SOAP document/literal. I know actionwebservice support SOAP RPC/ encoded mode but I need document/literal. Anyone knows how to do this?

codefusurfer wrote:

I am looking for a way to host a SOAP Webserver that serves the data as SOAP document/literal. I know actionwebservice support SOAP RPC/ encoded mode but I need document/literal. Anyone knows how to do this?

The Java and .Net worlds have lots of "nice" options for those seeking to torture themselves with SOAP web services. Ruby on Rails is VERY opinionated against SOAP in favor of REST, as am I.

I'm sure it can be done, but you'd likely be better off finding a forum devoted to providing SOAP with Ruby. I have a feeling you won't find much assistance here. I could be wrong though.

Robert Walker wrote:

codefusurfer wrote:

The Java and .Net worlds have lots of "nice" options for those seeking to torture themselves with SOAP web services. Ruby on Rails is VERY opinionated against SOAP in favor of REST, as am I.

I'm sure it can be done, but you'd likely be better off finding a forum devoted to providing SOAP with Ruby. I have a feeling you won't find much assistance here. I could be wrong though.

I think you're right. Does it absolutely have to be SOAP? If not, your life will be easier.

If it does have to be SOAP, though, I believe there are some plugins and gems that could help. I've never done this myself, but a Web search should send you in the right direction.

Best,

If I could do REST I wouldn't be asking. Why does everyone assumes that you can tell your client that the framework doesn't support their product API so go away? Sometimes the programmer has actually to find the solution that the client wants can haven't your way all the time.

I believe I mentioned ActionWebService so I believe that I have done a search and try alternatives with no positive results. Please if you don't have an answer don't waste your time.

If I could do REST I wouldn't be asking. Why does everyone assumes that you can tell your client that the framework doesn't support their product API so go away? Sometimes the programmer has actually to find the solution that the client wants can haven't your way all the time.

You did not make it clear from your original post that you could not use REST. For all we knew you might think that SOAP is the best way to do it. It is therefore valid to query your use of SOAP.

Scathing replies to those doing their best to help will not elicit the best response from the list I suspect.

Colin

codefusurfer wrote:

Original post:

There is nothing in your original post that would indicate any other assumptions. You say that you want to "host a SOAP Webserver," which to me certainly sounds like you're the one in control of the service. There is no mention, whatsoever, that your implementation requires conformance to some already established API.

As far as I know your original post embeds its own answer. I am aware only of actionwebservice. I think maybe someone has updated the old implementation that was pulled from Rails core a few years ago. Look around on Github to see if you can find it. If you do find it try directing your questions to the guy maintaining that project. I imagine he'll be more helpful than anyone else here. Especially if you are willing to contribute to that project, even if that might involve suggestions or bug reports only.

Try this: http://github.com/datanoise/actionwebservice

I believe they took the original Rails actionwebservice product and they are keeping at it. I had to work with web services (consuming them, not providing them) and had lots of problems with the original Rails version. I still had some problems with this one because of other gem requirements and had to hack it to make it work for what I needed but got it working.

Good luck.

You could try soap4r: http://dev.ctor.org/soap4r

Thanks Pepe,

I am in the process of recoding ActionWebService to support Document Literal. So far I recoded the WSDL to produce document / literal. I will be recoding the SOAP message decode/encode and request/response of the ActionWebService to support document literal. I will let you know.

Thank you.