So how does everybody else deal with changes in Rails?

What process do you use to fix the various problems the come about when you update your Rails version?

Ie., when going from Rails 1.2 to 2.0/2.1 I’ve had to monkeypatch Globalize to make it work. 2.2.0 RC1 breaks Globalize again (though just including a couple of the old methods makes it work that’s an unacceptable fix and I’ll be replacing Globalize as soon as I have the time).

2.2.0 also breaks the asset_packager plugin (AssetTagHelper has been refactored and rails_asset_id is no longer available). I can work around this by monkeypatching the asset_packager plugin but again it’s an unacceptable fix.

That’s just a couple of examples of the random upgrade pains. What I want to know is how do other people deal with these things? Monkeypatching? Waiting and hoping that somebody else updates the plugins? Googling for random blog posts?

I don’t have the time to fully investigate both the plugins and the changes to the rails codebase to find the best possible solution so what I implement are nasty hacks to get things working. It’s a terrible approach and there must be something better. How do you do it?

Cheers, Morgan.