Should I get Agile Web Development with Rails (Pragmatic Programmers) Book?

I'm an experienced programmer, working for a lot of years in the industry, and have been learning Ruby recently. I wondered if it was a good idea to buy the Agile Web Development with Rails (Pragmatic Programmers) book, or should I wait for an update for 2.0?

TIA

Ben

On their website you can have a preorder of the Hard Cover book, and waiting for it, you'll the book on pdf (and you can regenerate it at every update).

It works very well :wink:

Nic

Hello Ben,

I don't know, if you speak german, but if you do, I would wait for the a newer version of the book to come and would read the galileo open book in the meantime: Rheinwerk Computing :: Ruby on Rails 2 – Das Entwickler-Handbuch :: openbook. Maybe you'll find a open book in english language.

Greetings, ms

On their website you can have a preorder of the Hard Cover book, and waiting for it, you'll the book on pdf (and you can regenerate it at every update).

It works very well :wink:

Nic

Correct, you can get the Beta PDF (which I think is pretty complete) and just follow along and get a "dead tree" copy when it is released. You also might want to pick up Simply Rails 2 as a good place to start, and also The Art of Rails as another good book. Both, I think, cover Rails 2.x pretty well. I was able to use Simply Rails 2 with 2.1.1, so I hope that helps.

G'day Ben. I highly recommend Agile Web Development With Rails. It introduces and explains all sorts of Rails functionality and idioms in very clear, easy-to-understand ways. I also found it more efficient for getting started with, and learning Rails, than from reading disjoint articles and blog posts on the intertubes. I'm very happy to have bought the Beta PDF document. -Nick

Besides the example depot application, I can't imagine the book covering a great deal more than the new rails guides: