Should I learn Ruby on Rails? What book?

Hey there,

I'm a web developer, I've already mastered (well at least it sounds good) another framework - PHP Symfony - it's a great framework and it's very similiar to Ruby on Rails.

But when I watch these screencasts I just feel like PHP language will never be so simple and so - beautiful...

As you're all here Rails experts I suppose you would advice me to learn Rails. I thought I would buy the beta book Agile development, but shouldn't I wait for the final release?

Thank you all :slight_smile:

Hi There, Welcome to the Rails community.

Just recently a new range of guides were released & the starting one to check out is 'Getting Started with Rails' That along with all the others can be found here:

A great place to start.... HTH - Dave Porter

Thank you very much, it looks great :slight_smile:

Is this for the latest version - 2.2 ? (Or at least Rails 2)

It is for rails 2.2 and i believe they will get updated as new rails versions are released.

You will need to learn Ruby also David A Black's book "Ruby for Rails" is excellent. He is also writing "The well grounded Rubyist" which is due out soon and the preview is great. David has the ability to explain things in a manner that actually tells you how it works. Most other books I have read tell you "this is just like the blah function in C or Pearl". If you don't know c or pearl, you are SOL.

Good luck and Welcome to the wonderful world of Ruby and Rails and now Merb

The above mentions are great (and I love the Ruby for Rails book). I would also recommend Agile Web Development 3 (http://pragprog.com) SimplyRails 2 and The Art of Rails. Also, learn Ruby as well, you will be happy.

Ordered Ruby for Rails hope it will be great :slight_smile:

Yes I want to learn Ruby, and I'm doing it right now :slight_smile: You know, I'm just not too patient, so I'm trying directly Rails. But yesterday I've been playing with it, and it was really difficult, as I don't know Ruby. So I can't wait for the book.

Thank you people great help :slight_smile: