Shopping Cart

It appears that the only functional Rails shopping cart is Substruct. http://substruct.subimage.com/ There's boxcart but that looks dead.

Substruct is frozen against Rails 1.1.6. I'd prefer to work with something that works against edge Rails and uses REST. I also don't like the engine approach.

So, any thoughts on either forking or creating a new shopping cart? I'm at RailsConf if anyone wants to discuss this in person.

Joe Van Dyk

Joe,

Sounds like maybe you've discovered an opportunity for an open source project.

- develop a plan - write some use cases - startup an open source project - get some code contributors

As for me I've never really been big on the "canned" solutions, for things like shopping carts. Rails makes them so easy to create that I would just make my own anyway. But, if there is a real need out there for this, then I would guess finding some contributors shouldn't be all that difficult.

Such projects just need an evangelist to organize and make them happen.

Joe,

Sounds like maybe you've discovered an opportunity for an open source project.

- develop a plan - write some use cases - startup an open source project - get some code contributors

As for me I've never really been big on the "canned" solutions, for things like shopping carts. Rails makes them so easy to create that I would just make my own anyway. But, if there is a real need out there for this, then I would guess finding some contributors shouldn't be all that difficult.

Have you made a full-featured shopping cart application? They're not trivial to make. Rails does make it easy, but there's a lot involved regardless.

I figure that a well written shopping cart application would make a good starting point for a lot of people.

Joe

I'm proud to announce the non-release of Tangamart! http://tangajoe.googlecode.com/svn/tangamart/

Go download it today!

Initial features will be what I need:

-- RESTful design. I need to be able to have this work with other systems. -- Integration with authorize.net and fedex. The design should make it possible to use Paypal, UPS, USPS, etc, but I'm not going to implement them. -- Uses rspec and zentest. Heavily tested. -- Very simple CMS.

Good for you! I’ve got several ideas bouncing around in my head. I guess I just need to get on the ball and make them happen. Keep it up.

Shh…

We’re readying a release that works on 1.2 and many new features will be announced in the coming months.

:wink:

• Substruct Mafia…