Shopping Cart for my Application

Hi guys, i want to implement a shopping cart i my application for ordering books (this will work only in localhost not in production). Is there any tutorial explaining how can this be done?? Or any good plugin with instructions???

I dont want to use shopping cart from the book Agile Web Development with rails because its too complicated. Anything else that you can suggest me??

Thanx in advance Kostas L.

Kostas Lps wrote:

Hi guys, i want to implement a shopping cart i my application for ordering books (this will work only in localhost not in production). Is there any tutorial explaining how can this be done?? Or any good plugin with instructions???

I dont want to use shopping cart from the book Agile Web Development with rails because its too complicated. Anything else that you can suggest me??

Thanx in advance Kostas L.

That one is actually a fairly easy shopping cart to implement. There are a lot of things you need to consider before reaching out for this.

You have to consider what payment gateway you will be using, whether or not it will be encrypted or not, how you will handle cart sessions when they leave your site and return.

It's not an easy thing to do. I started with the shopping cart from agile rails, changed and manipulated it for my own ideas, and a good IPN gateway screencast are the episodes 141 - 143 from Ryan Bates at railscasts.com.

I would like to say that if you feel the agile rails shopping cart is complicated, you may indeed be in for some issues trying to implement any shopping cart at all. And, there are very few shopping cart tutorials out there but a lot of payment gateway tutorials.

I'm not aware of any plugin for shopping carts.

Hi Alpha Blue, i havent found either any kind of shopping cart plugin. Now, you said that you have used the shopping cart from agile rails. My main problem with that cart, is that it works only inside the store controller. I want to change this. For example, i want to be able to add products, when i show each product details. Where should i move all this functionality that is inside the store_controller??? I thought of the application_controller but i dont think is a good idea. What do you think??? I havent found any sollution for this thats because i am searching for a plugin.

Cheers kostas

You can make a add to cart link anywhere on the site that points to the store controllers add function... If you are showing products on the front page you can just do a link_to "Add to Cart", add_product_store_path(@product) or something like that..

Maybe you should also have a look at these to stores that have some good functionality

http://github.com/railsdog/spree/ http://github.com/twenrich/substruct/

@Alpha Blue: Your second message really helped me! I will watch the railscasts you told me hope they help!!!!

@heimdull: Thanx for the sollution this helped!!! It was actually so simple! I just downloaded the source code of spree. I would say its really good project. Now i'll see the second one.

Thanx both of u guys!!! Cheers Kostas

And something else that came to my mind about the Agile cart. How can i make the cart (written in ajax) available to the other controllers too? eg to be shown when i render each other controller's action? Cause when i go to another controller the cart is gone!!! Any sollution for that???