setup Mysql / rails 3.0.3 Snow leopard 32bit

Hi everybody,

Can someone tell me how i can set up Rails 3.0.3 working with mysql on Snow Leopard 32bit? i've tried adding the gem 'mysql2' in my gem file and run 'bundle install' with the database.yml set to:

development:     adapter: mysql2     database: rails_mysql_database     username: root     password: root

With the setup as above, when i run $ rails generate scaffold test name:string       invoke active_record /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ 1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load': syntax error on line 15, col 0: `test:' (ArgumentError)   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:133:in `load'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/railties-3.0.3/lib/rails/application/ configuration.rb:88:in `database_configuration'   from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.3/lib/active_record/ railtie.rb:58 and the list goes on with errors like above...

Since i already had some trouble getting mysql to work with rails, i thought maby somebody here can help me with this? mysql is working fine and a connection with php is no problem. When i google it i only find people having trouble setting up mysql with rails 3 but no solutions. I don't use macports or rvm.. just rubygems

Hope one of you can help me out?

Thanks in advance!

$ ruby --version    ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [universal-darwin10.0] $ rails --version    Rails 3.0.3 $ gem --version    1.4.2 $ sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin    Ver 8.42 Distrib 5.1.54, for apple-darwin10.3.0 on i386

Hi everybody,

Can someone tell me how i can set up Rails 3.0.3 working with mysql on Snow Leopard 32bit? i've tried adding the gem 'mysql2' in my gem file and run 'bundle install' with the database.yml set to:

Sounds like a syntax error in your database.yml file. Make sure you're using spaces and not tabs, be wary of special characters.

Fred

Thx Frederick,

You where right about the syntax error in the database.yml... think i used tabs. So the scaffold command works now but if it try to run: $ rake db:migrate (in /Users/daniel/Sites/rails_mysql) dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _mysql_init   Referenced from: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql2-0.2.6/lib/mysql2/ mysql2.bundle   Expected in: flat namespace

dyld: Symbol not found: _mysql_init   Referenced from: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql2-0.2.6/lib/mysql2/ mysql2.bundle   Expected in: flat namespace

Trace/BPT trap

Can you help me out with this one?

Thx!

Something's buggered with your mysql2 gem. I'd check what architecture mysql2.bundle is (use lipo -detailed_info), compare that with the ruby executable and the mysql libraries You might want to reinstall it, telling the install to use the mysql_config program, so that it picks up the right compile settings (something like gem install mysql2 -- --with-mysql-config=/usr/local/ mysql/bin/mysql_config (obviously adjusting to where your mysql_config binary actually is)

Fred

okee, i've reinstalled the gem, usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config is the correct path.

------------

When i google the error Please install the mysql2 adapter: `gem install activerecord-mysql2-adapter` (no such file to load -- active_record/connection_adapters/mysql2_adapter) people say: 'try the mysql2 gem' i don't understand why it has to be so difficult getting rails 3 to work with mysql... it looks like a lot of people having trouble to make it work.

Any ideas?

It usually means that rails couldn't load the connection adapter. You should get a more specific error if you open an irb session and require ruby gems and then mysql2. You want to make sure that you have the right version of mysql (the x86-64 version if you have anything but one of the very first intel machines)

Fred

Nicholas writes:

C:\nuhype>gem install mysql2 -- '--with-mysql-lib="c:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\lib\opt" --with-mysql-include="c:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5. 1\include"' Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit... Building native extensions. This could take a while... Successfully installed mysql2-0.2.7 1 gem installed Installing ri documentation for mysql2-0.2.7... Enclosing class/module 'mMysql2' for class Client not known Installing RDoc documentation for mysql2-0.2.7... Enclosing class/module 'mMysql2' for class Client not known

C:\nuhype>rake db:migrate (in C:/nuhype) rake aborted! Please install the mysql2 adapter: `gem install activerecord-mysql2-adapter` (no such file to load -- active_record/connection_adapters/mysql2_adapter) C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/connection _adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:71:in `rescue in establish_connec tion' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/connection _adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:68:in `establish_connection' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/connection _adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:60:in `establish_connection' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/connection _adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:55:in `establish_connection' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/railtie.rb :59:in `block (2 levels) in <class:Railtie>' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-3.0.6/lib/active_support/lazy_loa d_hooks.rb:36:in `instance_eval' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-3.0.6/lib/active_support/lazy_loa d_hooks.rb:36:in `execute_hook' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-3.0.6/lib/active_support/lazy_loa d_hooks.rb:43:in `block in run_load_hooks' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-3.0.6/lib/active_support/lazy_loa d_hooks.rb:42:in `each' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-3.0.6/lib/active_support/lazy_loa d_hooks.rb:42:in `run_load_hooks' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/base.rb:19 03:in `<top (required)>' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/migration. rb:486:in `initialize' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/migration. rb:433:in `new' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/migration. rb:433:in `up' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/migration. rb:415:in `migrate' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/railties/d atabases.rake:142:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:634:in `call' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:634:in `block in execute' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:629:in `each' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:629:in `execute' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:595:in `block in invoke_with_call_chain' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:201:in `mon_synchronize' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:588:in `invoke_with_call_chain' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:581:in `invoke' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2041:in `invoke_task' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2019:in `block (2 levels) in top_level' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2019:in `each' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2019:in `block in top_level' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2058:in `standard_exception_handling' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2013:in `top_level' C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:1992:in `run' C:/Ruby/bin/rake:31:in `<main>'

Please someone help with this issue? gem install activerecord-mysql2-adapter does not exist? Please help fix the mysql and rails connection.

Nicholas writes:

C:\nuhype>gem install mysql2 – '–with-mysql-lib="c:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL

Server 5.1\lib\opt" --with-mysql-include="c:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.

1\include"’

Temporarily enhancing PATH to include DevKit… Building native extensions. This could take a while…

Successfully installed mysql2-0.2.7

1 gem installed

Installing ri documentation for mysql2-0.2.7… Enclosing class/module ‘mMysql2’ for class Client not known

Installing RDoc documentation for mysql2-0.2.7… Enclosing class/module ‘mMysql2’ for class Client not known

C:\nuhype>rake db:migrate

(in C:/nuhype) rake aborted!

Please install the mysql2 adapter: gem install activerecord-mysql2-adapter (no

such file to load – active_record/connection_adapters/mysql2_adapter)

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/connection

_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:71:in `rescue in establish_connec

tion’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/connection

_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:68:in `establish_connection’

_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:60:in `establish_connection’

_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:55:in `establish_connection’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/railtie.rb

:59:in `block (2 levels) in class:Railtie

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-3.0.6/lib/active_support/lazy_loa

d_hooks.rb:36:in `instance_eval’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activesupport-3.0.6/lib/active_support/lazy_loa

d_hooks.rb:36:in `execute_hook’

d_hooks.rb:43:in `block in run_load_hooks’

d_hooks.rb:42:in `each’

d_hooks.rb:42:in `run_load_hooks’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/base.rb:19

03:in `<top (required)>’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/migration.

rb:486:in `initialize’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/migration.

rb:433:in `new’

rb:433:in `up’

rb:415:in `migrate’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/activerecord-3.0.6/lib/active_record/railties/d

atabases.rake:142:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:634:in `call’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:634:in `block in execute’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:629:in `each’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:629:in `execute’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:595:in `block in invoke_with_call_chain’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:201:in `mon_synchronize’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:588:in `invoke_with_call_chain’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:581:in `invoke’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2041:in `invoke_task’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2019:in `block (2 levels) in top_level’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2019:in `each’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2019:in `block in top_level’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2058:in `standard_exception_handling’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:2013:in `top_level’

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rake.rb:1992:in `run’

C:/Ruby/bin/rake:31:in `’

Please someone help with this issue? gem install activerecord-mysql2-adapter

does not exist? Please help fix the mysql and rails connection.

I am not sure if this will help but I went through some trouble getting mysql to play nice on my macbook upgraded to snow leopard. I found that I had to use mysql under 64 bit. I wrote a short blog post to remind myself how I resolved it. I am not sure if you are saying that you must run the 32 bit version , but if you are just happy to get mysql working you should be able to follow these steps:

http://blog.structuralartistry.com/post/4417260824/getting-mysql-and-mysql-gem-to-install-and-give-love-on

Nicholas wrote in post #994403:

Nicholas writes:

Please someone help with this issue? gem install activerecord-mysql2-adapter does not exist? Please help fix the mysql and rails connection.

I just ran into this same error message and I figured out what was going wrong. If you try and load the rails console (rails c) you will probably see the following warnings.

WARNING: This version of mysql2 (0.3.2) doesn't ship with the ActiveRecord adapter bundled anymore as it's now part of Rails 3.1 WARNING: Please use the 0.2.x releases if you plan on using it in Rails <= 3.0.x

When I ran "bundle install" it must have updated my mysql2 gem, which is no longer compatible with rails 3.0. Not good.

I changed my Bundle file so the mysql 2 line looks like this: gem 'mysql2', "0.2.7" # v0.3 requires rails 3.

Then run 'bundle' and everything should be good again.

Mike I am also a newbie. Where might I find this bundle file?

Mike I am also a newbie. Where might I find this bundle file?

It's called Gemfile and it's in the root of your application folder.

B.