Searching and returning arrays

im a begginer in RoR and am using rails 3.2.3 and ruby 1.8.7

This forum has helped me to progress but I'm confused by one thing.

My app is supposed to allow seaching for results depending on the check boxes that are checked. In my case, when the user checks a determined facility and clicks "search" the corresponding hotels with only those facilities should be returned. I can search by name/location and rating, but can't search for facilities.

Briefly, my controller looks like:

def index     @hotels= Hotel.search(params) (...) end

My view like:

<b>Facilities:</b><br /> <% for facility in Facility.find(:all) %>   <div class="field">   <%= check_box_tag "fc", facility.id%>   <%= facility.description %>   </div>   <% end %> <%= submit_tag "Search", :name => nil%> (...)

<% @hotels.each do |hotel|%>     <h2> <%= link_to hotel.name, hotel %> </h2>

My hotels and facilities are a has_many_and_belongs_to relationship with everything working. The facilities_hotels table is created with the facility_id and hotel_id collums, and the facilities table has for columns a facility_id and description(which is for e.g. pool, 24hroom service etc)

The issue is in my model:

def self.search(params)

if params            arel = where('#searches for names/location/rating')

if params[:fc].present?           arel=arel.joins('INNER JOIN facilities_hotels ON hotels.id=facilities_hotels.hotel_id ')

for i in params[:fc].size             arel=arel.where('facilities_hotels.facility_id = ?', params([:fc][i]))                 #how do I increment on the previous line? Obviously params([:fc][i]) does not work           end           arel         else            arel         end

else        all      end

I didn't want to do this with to_sql...

Also, when i run it, the query always returns empty results if I check a facilities checkbox, but maybe that is a problem from that line of code in my model but if you forsee an issue, I would appreciate a heads up in terms of future code conflict relating to this issue

Thank you in advance

if params\[:fc\]\.present?
      arel=arel\.joins\(&#39;INNER JOIN facilities\_hotels ON

hotels.id=facilities_hotels.hotel_id ')

for i in params\[:fc\]\.size
        arel=arel\.where\(&#39;facilities\_hotels\.facility\_id = ?&#39;,

params([:fc][i])) #how do I increment on the previous line? Obviously params([:fc][i]) does not work end

Typically I would just do

params[:fc].each do |fc_id| ... end

To iterate over an array like that.

This doesn't do what you want though, since rails will be and-ing all of the conditions You probably want where(:facilities_hotels => {:facility_id => array_of_ids}) which will generate a IN clause

Fred