Newbie having problem with search function

Hi Guys ,

I am a newbie to rails so forgive me if this has been answered before. I am currently doing an inventory management project on RoR and got 3 tables , goods , customers and staff. I used scaffold to generate all of them.

I just generated a new scaffold called search and I need to search values from all 3 tables. i am using the steps from this site ,

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowToImplementSearch

The only change is from Person/people to Book/books .But I keep getting this error

You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! You might have expected an instance of Array. The error occurred while evaluating nil.each

Can someone help? The places where I put the codes are below ,

def search     query = params[:q]     @people = Person.find(:all, :conditions => ["name = ?", query])   end

is in search_controller.rb

the codes for view are in view/search/index.rhtml and search.rhtml. Thank you so much!!

regards billy

billy am wrote:

I just generated a new scaffold called search and I need to search values from all 3 tables. i am using the steps from this site ,

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowToImplementSearch

The only change is from Person/people to Book/books .But I keep getting this error

You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! You might have expected an instance of Array. The error occurred while evaluating nil.each

Can someone help? The places where I put the codes are below ,

def search     query = params[:q]     @people = Person.find(:all, :conditions => ["name = ?", query])   end

is in search_controller.rb

the codes for view are in view/search/index.rhtml and search.rhtml. Thank you so much!!

regards billy    Hi Billy,

Can you check for typos? As the message suggests, it seems that one of the arrays you are evaluating in the view does not actually have any data in it. Perhaps, you have a typo like @book instead of @books or something in your view.. would be worth checking, in my opinion.

Does Rails show you the code where the error occurs? Could you post that?

Cheers Mohit.

The case is closed :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks to Mohit for the help!

regards billy