ruby gems --> no such file to load - fastthread

I am having quite a time with a project. I had a server up and running without a problem. I then started to deploy a project to a separate directory and then the original project crashed so the web site is offline. When I read the error log file I see this:

/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- fastthread (LoadError)   from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'   from /usr/local/rubygems/gems/gems/passenger-2.2.2/lib/phusion_passenger/utils.rb:27   from /usr/local/rubygems/gems/gems/passenger-2.2.2/bin/passenger-spawn-server:53:in `require'   from /usr/local/rubygems/gems/gems/passenger-2.2.2/bin/passenger-spawn-server:53 [ pid=3600 file=ext/apache2/Hooks.cpp:566 time=2009-06-30 07:46:08.773 ]:   Unexpected error in mod_passenger: Cannot spawn application '/home/deploy/projectname': The spawn server has exited unexpectedly.   Backtrace:      in 'virtual boost::shared_ptr<Passenger::Application::Session> Passenger::ApplicationPoolServer::Client::get(const Passenger::PoolOptions&)' (ApplicationPoolServer.h:430)      in 'int Hooks::handleRequest(request_rec*)' (Hooks.cpp:449)

I do not know how to fix this. It says it’s looking for fastthread, but if I list my local gems it’s in the list. There’s a thought that a GEM_PATH needs to be configured or something, but I am not certain how to do this there either.

This is on a CentOS system.

THANKS!!!!!

You need to install gems separately for Passenger using the Ruby
Enterprise Edition. The gems that are installed with your regular
Ruby (/usr/bin/ruby perhaps?) are not in the GEM_PATH for Passenger.

There are instructions on the phusion site on how to do this.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn wrote:

You need to install gems separately for Passenger using the Ruby Enterprise Edition. The gems that are installed with your regular Ruby (/usr/bin/ruby perhaps?) are not in the GEM_PATH for Passenger.

Is there something that changed recently? Yesterday this was running fine without the need to go through the upgrade to Ruby Enterprise. We updated the system gems at the end of May and still started fine too.

I'm just trying to understand what happened so I can explain this to the anxious client.

Thanks.

Cs Webgrl wrote:

Rob Biedenharn wrote:

You need to install gems separately for Passenger using the Ruby Enterprise Edition. The gems that are installed with your regular Ruby (/usr/bin/ruby perhaps?) are not in the GEM_PATH for Passenger.

Is there something that changed recently? Yesterday this was running fine without the need to go through the upgrade to Ruby Enterprise. We updated the system gems at the end of May and still started fine too.

I'm just trying to understand what happened so I can explain this to the anxious client.

Thanks.

Hi,

Did you get this working?

We’ve hit exactly the same situation where we haven’t changed anything but are now getting the identical issue!

Help!!

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I did eventually get this working, about 24+ hours later. It was awful. After getting into an online chat room, someone suggested going into fastthread and doing setup.rb. After that I got a Passenger error saying that it couldn't find Rails. Reinstalled Rails and the site came back. It was a huge pain, but I found helpful people to guide me.

Let me know if this doesn't work and I can take a look at my notes from that day.

Hope this helps. Cindy

Dave Cates wrote: